Home Precious Metals
Options

2015 Libertads

I just picked up a few 2015 Libertads from a local dealer today and noticed the reeded edge looked diffrent than all the other Libertads I own . The reeds are not as deep .
Anyone else notice this ? My rare earth magnet reacts the same as it does on my 2014 Libertads, Eagles, and Maple leafs , same amount of resistance and same results on the 45 degree test so I feel pretty comfortable they are real . I just never seen these with such shallow reeds before .

Lewis

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do libertads, but how do they compare to reeds on your other 2015's? Hopefully someone with 2015s as well as another year can chime in with a report.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    What is the 45 degree test?
    Thx
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    I have other 2015's but they are in the safety deposit box at the bank, so I can't compare those. I never took them out of the tube so I did not notice the reeding on those.
    As far as the 45 degree test , it works best of course on bars , but here is how it works.
    Silver is diamagnetic, so if you hold your silver at a 45 degree angle, and take a rare earth magnet and place it at the top and let go, it will move slowly down .
    Also you can feel the magnetic field repelling as you wave the magnet over the silver.
    Again, not as easy to detect with a one ounce , but you can still feel it.

Lewis
  • Options
    After a quick search of images on google, I notice two diffrent styles of lettering, numbers on the obverse of the 2015 Libertad. Fat letters/numbers , and skinny letters numbers .
    For example , the 2015 date has much wider numbers on some of these. That is also a characteristic of the ones I have with shallow reeds on the edge. Did they totally re-tool the dyes ? I don't know . Anybody have any input on this ?
    I would hate to think these are fakes .

Lewis
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I got an early roll when they came out last Dec. The reeds do looks shallow, but about the same as everything else '15 that I have.

If you're comparing them to the previous design they are way thinner and shallow, but no clue here if there are variants from this year like those AGEs that were different for a batch.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever bought one of the Libertad Kilo coins? Are they 32.15 ounces? How big are they in hand?
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2012 that I bought last year. They're pretty hefty. I like them. Size wise, maybe the size of the small burner on your stove? Been a while since I looked at it.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: BigMoneyLewis
    After a quick search of images on google, I notice two diffrent styles of lettering, numbers on the obverse of the 2015 Libertad. Fat letters/numbers , and skinny letters numbers .
    For example , the 2015 date has much wider numbers on some of these. That is also a characteristic of the ones I have with shallow reeds on the edge. Did they totally re-tool the dyes ? I don't know . Anybody have any input on this ?
    I would hate to think these are fakes .

Lewis

Can you post the pictures you found so we can see? Thanks
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bestmr
    I have a 2012 that I bought last year. They're pretty hefty. I like them. Size wise, maybe the size of the small burner on your stove? Been a while since I looked at it.

Wow - that's pretty big. All the pictures I see look so much smaller. That's why I asked. Thank you.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I have a picture on Photobucket but it's just looking down on it with no frame of reference. It's not as big as the small burner once I got home and looked. Maybe 2/3 to 3/4 the size. However, it's really thick! That I do remember. Definitely worth picking up if you're looking to buy some silver and can get one at a good price, imo.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times