Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

How did 2015 stack up for new acquisitions for everyone ?

With 2015 almost over (thank goodness), it would be interesting to see / hear how other members fared with new purchases this year.

Did you meet your collecting goals ?

On my end, I can't complain all things considered, but was not able to collect the way I hoped at the beginning of the year.

I was able to nearly complete the 1934 $10 LGS star set ( I need to pay for one more note). I purged out a lot of low grade stuff, and trade for better notes.

I started to look at the LT and SC notes as well, and am planning on tinkering with the 1935A, B, and C $1 SC's until my finances free up a bit more.

Here are the stats for new 2015 acquisitions on my end:

Sales:

$1: 4 1928A YB (AU), 1928B FB (EF), 1928D GB (F), 1934 *A (F)

$5: 2 1934 AA (LGS) EF, 1934A mule SC *A (VF)

$10: 4 1928C DA (F), 1934 C* LGS (VG), 1928B LGS G* (F/VF), 1934 G* LGS (F)

$20: 1 1929 FRBN AA (VF)

Trades / New purchases:

$1: 5 1928B *A (PMG40), 1935 AA (AU58), 1935 GA (PMG58), 1935A QA (CCU), 1935A ZB (CCU)

$2: 1 1928A AA (VF35)

$5: 2 1928A LT CA (CCU), LT 1928B DA (PMG63 (IMO a 62)).

$10: 10 1928A AA (VF), 1934 LGS: CA CCU, C* VF, G* VF, HA AU, K* VF, L* F/VF. 1934 mule FA CCU, GA CCU, IA AU.

I ended up spending 50% less on paper money in 2015 than in 2014.

Goals for 2016:

Purchase the last $10 1934 LGS star. Continue working on $1 1928B, 1928D, 1934, 1935, 1935A, and 1935B sets, as well as the 1928 USN sets and 1934 / 34A $5 SC sets. Most of these notes are inexpensive.

Most of all, I am going to be pickier about buying better quality notes than I have in the past.

Comments

• Options
    2016 will be better for you - just watch!

i rarely have a plan as items just pop up in auction or on ebay, and i have to have them!

the one bucket list item i checked off was a nice example of a 1928 Gold $100 star... its been on the list for the last 4 years or so

• Options
    this inspired me to look at my stats, based on what I have in my set registry. There are lots of things not in there, but generally I like to get PCGS graded notes and therefore they are in the registry.

I thought I had spent more this year, but both the number of notes and the amount I spent were 20% less that last year. I think one thing is the notes I need are harder/more expensive - so the easy pickings of the first blush of collecting are over.

for $5 small size this is what I had.

2013 2014 2015

37 33 10

I did complete my first registry set (Small Sized $5), but I have a PMG Hawaii note. If I see a nice PCGS Hawaii, I'll probably add it or cross my PMG note so it is complete in the registry. The same with my small size one set, I have a 1928E PMG which keeps my PCGS set one short.

I have bought more large sized this year, but I realize that is a much bigger world to get registry sets. So I will work on small sized $10's (no hope of ever completing), $20's and $50's. I have no desire for top pop, but looking for completeness.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    2015 was an awesome currency year for me! This year I attended a record number of shows, thanks to cheap flight specials (Chicago $68 round trip). I had an exhibit at Memphis which was a lot of fun to put together. Above all, I was very fortunate to pick up a ton of cool notes! It will be really tough to maintain this pace, but I'm excited to see what 2016 will bring. image
  • Options
    It's always a good year for my collection - especially this year. I bought a couple of collections that are just incredible including a Michigan collection and a Minnesota collection. I do have a spreadsheet running that shows everything bought and pricing. I see that final number almost daily, but I never let myself think about it or do any comparisons. It's too shocking. The last time I did figure it out several years ago, it came out to 38% of my annual income is invested into my various money collections. And I always find more stuff every year. So I just leave it at that....
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    Been updating my purchases for 2015 and WOW, the $$$ I've spent on updated books has just about taken my breath away. Of course most are useless for pricing but for attribution they are invaluable. With that said I still believe every dollar spent on research material is money well spent. Old saying: 'buy the book before the note' still holds true. Actual note acquisitions have bumped my budget pretty closely. I am hoping to increase my budget for 2016 but that all depends on consultations and/or appraisals that I do. Since my retirement I've seen a small uptick in referrals and I remain positive. Next purchase has to be some software to keep up; my spreadsheets are just about useless since I know less than zero.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    It was a good year for me, as I decided to invest all of my extra money into world banknotes, to combine fun and investment. It's amazing how some of the notes doubled their market values in few months.

Best notes that I got were from the Middle East:

50 livres from Sirya Specimen, 1920 unc

100 livres from sirya 1939 issued XF.

1 pound Egypt 1924 issued (the scarce camel note) in great grade, maybe the second or even the best graded (currently in certification). Best is 40, mine can go maybe to 45, will see.

100 pounds issued Egypt 1936 in xf

50 pounds bank leumi Israel.

Full Libya set 1952 issued including the scarce 5 and 10 pounds.

10 riyals Saudi Arabia 1953 (p1).

Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    2015 was a great (and expensive) year for my collection.

My most thrilling purchases were the five $1000 1934 LGS notes, but I've bought about two dozens other LGS notes (lower denominations) too.

I should count them exactly, but actually I consider to buy some more, so I'll wait by the end of the year for a final result.

• Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Alex1176
    It was a good year for me, as I decided to invest all of my extra money into world banknotes, to combine fun and investment. It's amazing how some of the notes doubled their market values in few months.
    Best notes that I got were from the Middle East:
    50 livres from Sirya Specimen, 1920 unc
    100 livres from sirya 1939 issued XF.
    1 pound Egypt 1924 issued (the scarce camel note) in great grade, maybe the second or even the best graded (currently in certification). Best is 40, mine can go maybe to 45, will see.
    100 pounds issued Egypt 1936 in xf
    50 pounds bank leumi Israel.
    Full Libya set 1952 issued including the scarce 5 and 10 pounds.
    10 riyals Saudi Arabia 1953 (p1).

Alex, that's a heck of a list of acquisitions! Definitely a good year for you!! And a good year for me too. Not so many shows, but more international shows as my residence has changed to Europe. This was the best year for me and as my spendable income grows, I have been able to buy excellent notes as a result. Wishes for 2016 to be even better.
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Let's see some scans.

Here are some of my 2015 purchases:

This was my very first purchase of 2015

Here some others.

Here is the last not I purchased in 2015 (actually traded other notes for).

• Options
    Originally posted by: luckybucks

Let's see some scans.

I started my 20c collection this year! image

• Options
    Two of my favorite pick ups of the year:

• Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    All I can say is it was an "AWESOME" year for me and my purchases !!!!!

Added notes that I thought I might never see in my "LIFETIME" !!!!

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    I didn't really buy much this year. There wasn't a lot I was interested at the price I want. I'm also getting pickier on what I want so it doesn't look like I'll have a big buy year anytime soon.
  • Options
    Any more notes picked up this year my anyone ?

Another goal I would like to add: I plan on doing LOTS of junk box / cherry picking in 2016.

Data / research wise, 2015 was a banner year for me. I was able to get the serial number periods of all $1 SC regular blocks from 1928 AA to the 1935A HB block in 1940. I also got the serial number periods for the $2 LT's up to January 1941. Serial number periods of the regular block Gold Certificates, and the big kahuna this year....the 1929 FRBN star note data.

I am ......still awaiting a couple of annual reports from the BEP.
  • Options
    I dont have time to expand right now, but this year was incredible for me!
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting South Carolina fractionals in 2015. It culminated with this nice sheet. 15 notes, 11 varieties based on denomination and watermark and one error note. The benefit of seeing a whole sheet is that you can see nuances that could result in more varieties. For example, the third 50 cent note down, the "Fifty Cents" is definitely a different font. Same with the 25 cent notes, the fourth down, State of South Carolina is a different font.

• Options
    With just a couple of days left in the year, let's see more 2015 purchases.
  • Options
    I'm excited about this one, check out the great SN!

It looks like the dirty smudge is not on the note. It is also on the back in the same place ...must be just some grunge on the scanner glass.

• Options
    2015 was a great year for me I picked up several notes I thought I might never find (or be able to purchase)

These are all PCGS ppq notes

LTN 1928 $1.00 A00000964A (67)

SC 1928 $1.00 (68)

1928B $1.00 (68)

1928C $1.00 (66)

1934 $1.00 (68)

1953A $5.00 (68)

1934C $5.00 (68)

1934 $10.00 mule (67)

GC 1928 $50.00 (67)

1928 $100.00 (65)

This list doesn't contain the FRBN's or $1.00 error notes I picked up.

Hope to pick up 2 -3 monster notes this year.

Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit

I'm excited about this one, check out the great SN!

It looks like the dirty smudge is not on the note. It is also on the back in the same place ...must be just some grunge on the scanner glass.

That is cool and I had planned on going after it too but was over my monthly budget when it ended. Congrats. The smudge isn't on the note. I figured that out as well when it was on ebay.
  • Options
    Did a lot of budget watching this year so didn't obtain everything I wanted to acquire but did make some really good purchases.

==

Need to give some credit to some forum members who REALLY helped out this year:

== Oklahomadanny: got me looking at MPCs; so now I have four instead of just one;

==Jim61: helped me complete a district Star set

== gnat: just helped me obtain a few types I didn't have

== luckybucks: sharing more information than I could absorb

== and so many others who shared and educated me THANK YOU all !! image

Retired

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Great notes everyone!! imageto all!

I posted mine in another thread - the 16566561 radar that delistamps and TheRock helped me obtain. Yeah, there are others that cost more or less but this was super since it had been on my want list for decades.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    This Iraqi nice note. One Dinar fron early 30-s of the king Ghazi the 1-st. Those iraqi notes are not easy to find, specially in this grade.
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    Well, here's a surprise from Heritage auction yesterday, figured my bid was probably too low but what can I say.

==

Happy New Year for sure.

Retired

• Options
    That is a stunner! Congrats on a great LGS!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit
    That is a stunner! Congrats on a great LGS!

+1

What a lovely LGS!!!

• Options
    Yeah great looking LGS! Looks like it could have been a 65 even.
  • Options
    Latest ebay pick: