Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Anyone here win this tough $5 Mule last night on HA?

Great note! I cried uncle, did it at least go to a fellow board member?

Comments

• I looked long and hard at it, unfortunately did not squeeze the trigger.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• is $940 a good price? overpriced?
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    It's pricey at that level. Granted it's a tough note, but it went for nearly double the book of $500 in CCU. There are 6 graded total by both services with two higher in 64Q.
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you forced them to pay all the money.

But, these Mules are rare enough that if two people want one, prices will reflect this.

All the known CU examples came to light a few years ago and were quickly snatched up. And, the other examples are still locked up in long term collections.
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    A note in demand right now. Not very many out there for collectors looking for CU examples.

I have the 91 ending note.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Tough note for sure.

Looks like someone REALLY wanted that one.
    Interestingly enough, there are actually only 5 TPG CU graded examples. This very note was previously in a PCGS 63PPQ holder.
  • I know who the underbidder was but no idea who won it.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Can I ask why it is a mule?
    It has micro back plate 637. PMG holder of course fails to note that. Micro back plates 629 and 637 have a fascinating history and created a wide variety of scarce and rare Mules (and some ultra rare 1934 Non- Mules) on $5 FRNs, USNs and SCs.
  • If I needed this note, I would have bought it at these levels. I believe there is a prior auction result somewhere for a $5 FRN 1934-C St. Louis mule that sold for a lot more than the 1934-B mule.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• image Since I didn't need it I was just an observer. Wanted it but pulling the trigger at that price this close to Christmas AND the limit of my budget, I passed. Someone got a really nice note!!
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone have a picture of the micro back plate?
    I tried, to no avail, to post a link to a Mule Thread, but the new software is thwarting my feeble efforts. So, I bumped that Thread to the first page. If you scroll down in that thread you will see examples of both the 637 and 629 back plates and a simple explanation of these mules.
  • The new forum software is just awful. I still can't figure out the private messaging system half the time and using an android device leaves some features and links useless.
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip
    Someone have a picture of the micro back plate?

Don't you hate PMG for not putting the plate numbers on the holders.
    PCGS is the complete grading solution
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: garrynot

A mule is an animal with long funny ears, kicks up at anything he hears. :c)

A mule is a note with a small plate number on one side of the note, and a larger plate number on the other.

They can be found mostly on 1934 / 1934 A notes, as well as 1935 / 1935A $1's, 1928C/D $2's, and 1928B/C $5 Legal Tenders. There were some leftover micro backplates in the $5's, so 1934B and C saw mules as well, along with 1928D and E $5 LT's.
  • Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    A mule is a note with a small plate number on one side of the note, and a larger plate number on the other.

And a mule does not have to have different size plate numbers. An example, there are mules of the first 1963 $1 FRNs with new front plates that used the back plates from the old 1957B $1 SCs which are the same size.

Therefore a more generic definition of a mule would be when a plate used on one side is from the current series and is paired with a plate used from the previous series on the other side - same sizes or different sizes plate numbers.

These are fairly common in many series of $1 FRNs.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
    Originally posted by: gnat

It has micro back plate 637. PMG holder of course fails to note that. Micro back plates 629 and 637 have a fascinating history and created a wide variety of scarce and rare Mules (and some ultra rare 1934 Non- Mules) on $5 FRNs, USNs and SCs.

Nice. Thanks.
    Originally posted by: luckybucks

Originally posted by: garrynot

A mule is an animal with long funny ears, kicks up at anything he hears. :c)

They can be found mostly on 1934 / 1934 A notes, as well as 1935 / 1935A $1's, 1928C/D $2's, and 1928B/C $5 Legal Tenders. There were some leftover micro backplates in the $5's, so 1934B and C saw mules as well, along with 1928D and E $5 LT's.

Thanks!

edited January 17, 2017 11:26AM
    Moved to friendlier turf.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
  • beautiful notes and very well put together educational material - thanks
  • steve42steve42 Posts: 15 ✭✭

Gnat,
    Just realized your 1934A $5 FED MULE (San Francisco) is a 637. What a wonderful note. I wonder the story of how you got it.
    Your 1934 Mule Dark Blue-Green is serial number L00274087*. I just got L00274083* (PMG 65 EPQ) There is another PMG 65 that is supposed to be in a March Auction. Steve

edited January 17, 2017 11:31AM

Steve, I really don't post (or even visit) much over here anymore. I would be interested in seeing the 1934 SF Mule Star coming up in the March (SB?) sale. There was a small run of these that came to light many years ago.

The 1934A SF Mule Star came from a Forum member who was kind enough to sell it to me. It and a Chicago 1934A Mule Star are the only two examples known of this rare variety.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet note, undervalued but it is a specialty area