Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eric P. Newman Biography Goes to Print

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
Posted with permission from ATS.

Special! December 8, 2015

Jim Halperin, Co-Chairman of Heritage Auctions, announced that he finished the final edit of the biography of numismatist Eric P. Newman. Titled Truth Seeker: The Life of Eric P. Newman, researched and written by Roger W. Burdette, Leonard D. Augsburger and Joel Orosz, is being printed in a hardcover edition by Ivy Press, Inc. The book will be available early in 2016.

During nearly a year and a half of research and preparation of the manuscript, the authors were given unrestricted access to Mr. Newman’s huge archive of correspondence and research notes involving many of the most prominent names and events in numismatics. They also conducted a series of in-depth interviews with Mr. & Mrs. Newman, family members and others.

Roger Burdette stated: "Eric Newman's collection was for the purpose of gaining knowledge and disseminating it. Right down to the present, Mr. Newman continues to research, explore and share his knowledge with others. I predict Truth Seeker: The Life of Eric P. Newman, will become a cornerstone publication for every collector of American coinage."
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We sat with Mr. Newman for over 12 hours of interviews, with Mrs. Newman present for several of the sessions. It was beyond fascinating. Much more could be said, but it is best to let the book come out and comment from there.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome news! Looking forward to getting an autographed copy!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a very rewarding experience.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This book sails to the top of my list. I can hardly wait until it's published.

Thanks for the info!
    Mark

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - can't wait to read it - thanks for the news! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Coinosaurus

We sat with Mr. Newman for over 12 hours of interviews, with Mrs. Newman present for several of the sessions. It was beyond fascinating. Much more could be said, but it is best to let the book come out and comment from there

Sounds like an amazing conversation!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the note, I can't wait to read it.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats. will look forwards to it
  • Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    Great news about the book. What about the follow-on movie? image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks to be the next "must have" book. Look forward to getting a copy.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. A book to get in 2016 for sure!
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my book in the mail today. Looks like a beautifully put together book. Can't wait to get into it
  • Options
    I ordered, paid, had the order cancelled (for no apparent reason), then had two separate orders show up, then called and it was reduced to one order, then paid (again) and now I wait. Looks like it may be getting closer.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dbldie55

I ordered, paid, had the order cancelled (for no apparent reason), then had two separate orders show up, then called and it was reduced to one order, then paid (again) and now I wait. Looks like it may be getting closer.

I had basically the same thing happen too.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    I don't remember exactly what happened but remember my online ordering experience was not smooth. The book looks like it is well worth the hassle
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Received mine today (#109 of 250). I'm puzzled, though -- I paid a total $25.87 for it ($24 plus tax) but they sent it via USPS Express Mail which, even with corporate discount, had to cost almost $20 to ship. Hard to make money (or break even for that matter) with that business model.
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered a copy and it went "smooth as silk". I guess I haven't been paying attention because I wasn't aware of this book until this afternoon (THANK YOU Forum!!). I'm anxious to read it!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys, I had forgotten to order...now on the way!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tried to order it, but I'm not sure how to process a Credit Card payment. I am only getting an option to send a check.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    Mine showed up today as well. #89 of 250, autographed by Mr. Newman. I thought they were soft bound. Wonder if the first 250 get the numbered hard bound books.

If so, going to order another to read so I keep this one in good shape.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered a copy too! Thanks for the reminder. image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my copy (93/250). Looks good.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FedEx just delivered my copy today. Considering the modest price and its appearance, it looks like a great value in addition to extremely interesting reading. My congratulations to the authors for their efforts. This is a seminal book as far as 20th-century U.S. numismatics is concerned. I am surprised that the print run was only 250 copies.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got mine as well. 96/250 here. It was surprising seeing the signature and "limited library edition" on the first page. Was that advertised?
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received #102/250 today. Very interesting, includes some fascinating information on his interaction with the leading numismatists of the 20th century. I was privileged to exchange some emails with Eric, who was 99 years old at the time, on research of Robert Scot.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just finished reading this book, and strongly recommend it to anyone interested in 20th-century U. S. numismatics. It is chock full of fascinating information, some of which I already knew, some not (especially tidbits contained in excerpts from private letters). It's all there numismatically: Burdette Johnson, the 1913 Liberty nickels, Col. E.H.R. Green's coins, Wayte Raymond and other interesting characters, run-ins with John J. Ford, the location of large cents that Dr. Sheldon swiped from the American Numismatic Society collection and moves to get coins back from Ted Naftzger, research on colonial counterfeiting, etc. I would have been interested to see comments regarding some other contemporaries (Abe Kosoff and Max Mehl come to mind) on the dealer side of the hobby, but this is a minor quibble. BUY THIS BOOK!
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered yesterday. Hopefully, I ordered in time to get one of the 250 signed and numbered copies. image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This article is probably old news, but this is the first that I have seen the medal.

Eric P. Newman 100 Year Medal

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n01a04.html

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another article;

http://urc.universityrarecoins..._EricPNewman-Story.pdf

...blocked at work for some reason.

WebFilter Category: none
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My copy (#111/250) came earlier this week. Just a few quick photos for those who may be interested.

Pictured are the binding (hard back, black, gold lettering), the signed and numbered book plate in the front cover, and the full color title page.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my soft bound copy today.

When I asked Heritage customer service about the hard bound version, they advised me that they were not yet available.

Either way, I look forward to reading the book.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    Got my soft bound copy today. This will be my "working" edition. Looking forward to reading it.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dbldie55

I can beat that - I ordered one and had two separate orders each containing two books. I called and asked them to only charge and send one. It was supposed to be delivered today - no such luck. We'll see if I receive one, two or four and what I am charged. Maybe I'll receive none. And I bet it will be a soft bound issue.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Well Heritage straighten out the problem and I received my book today - even though I had four different emails stating the the book shipped with two different invoice numbers. And as my luck runs - I waited and called a couple of times to see if I could receive the hard bound version - no such luck. Good book, but sure would of liked a hardback. Should of followed my instincts and ordered right away. Another blunder!
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my book yesterday... soft bound. Looking forward to reading it. Maybe i'll find a hard-bound copy on ebay.
  • Options
    I am about halfway through this book and I highly recommend it. In fact it is the best numismatic book I have read. Some quick points:

1) if you wonder how a great collection is assembled this book takes you behind the scenes

2) it is clear to me that the way that Newman had access to obtain his collection can be traced to his numismatic scholarship and research. He met so many individuals and later obtained coins Because he was first and foremost a scholar

3) love the quality of the book (I have a hard cover copy)

4) love the detail and stories about other collectors and dealers

Those are just some quick thoughts. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys this forum not loving this book
  • Options
    I love this book!!! I am about two-thirds through it and hate putting it down.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read. I was #88. Got another hard copy 2 days after I finished?
  • Options
    I'm looking for a hardbound if anyone finds an extra. I'm not sure they actually made 250, it seemed to jump from 120 to out, so there may have been a production problem or they let someone buy 100.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file