Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Help on $5.00 error note (Answered) Missing Image added

IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 16, 2017 10:22AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum
Hi experts!
I need a little help. A few years ago, my brother received two of these $5.00 notes (consecutive serial #) in change from a bank teller transaction. He knew they were errors and put them away. Knowing I collect coins, a few months ago he gave them to me. Yes, he is a nice brother. Aside from a few interesting notes I have picked up over the years, I do not know much about “paper” and even less about paper errors. I would appreciate it, if you have the time, for information or classification on this type of error. Albeit, I know nothing about grading notes but to my untrained eye they both appear in excellent condition. Except for the original transaction, they have probably never been in circulation. The consecutive serial numbers suggests they may have possibly originated from a banded pack. Any info or comment would be appreciated.
Thanx!

unus multorum

Comments

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Hi, and welcome to the paper side.

Your note looks like what is called an "insufficient ink, back" error, not an "obstructed print" error to me.

If so, it is an R3 on the rarity scale and probably in the $150 to $200 range in CU for the size of your error - IMHO.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the quick and informative reply.

Now that I know the classification, I can do some follow up

and research the causes of “insufficient ink" during the printing

process.

You paper guys are ACES!

unus multorum
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jim61
    Hi, and welcome to the paper side.

Your note looks like what is called an "insufficient ink, back" error, not an "obstructed print" error to me.

If so, it is an R3 on the rarity scale and probably in the $150 to $200 range in CU for the size of your error - IMHO.

Are you sure this is an insufficient ink error? I would probably revisit the obstruction possibility. It's a pretty clean break where the inking ends where normally an insufficient inking would taper. I might be wrong but it's worth a second look.

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

Are you sure this is an insufficient ink error? I would probably revisit the obstruction possibility. It's a pretty clean break where the inking ends where normally an insufficient inking would taper. I might be wrong but it's worth a second look.

A couple of things that helped me make my decision.

1) I have never seen a obstructed print so neatly vertical. Yes, they can have straight lines, but I never seen a neat vertical or horizontal for that matter.

Many reasons for this - usually obstructed prints are the result of paper jams, tears, folds, foreign objects failing into the printing process. Very hard to get any of these to get a neat vertical line.

2) This one sealed it for me. I have never seen 2 consecutive serial notes with the same obstructed print. Yet it is fairly common on insufficient inking.

When I checked the error books, there is this same error on the left side of a $20 listed under the insufficient ink category.

Obviously I could be totally wrong and only based upon my experience which is why I said IMHO.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options

Nothing new. Just added the image that Photobucket wiped.

unus multorum