Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Error Coins

I can't recall ever seeing a gold error coin.
Does anyone have any to share?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few out there. Couple of off-centers, a blank $20. And of course the Indian cents struck on $2-1/2 planchets are gold error coins.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are also quite a few AGEs with partial collars and strike throughs (struck through plastic). I think I remember seeing a clip on an AGE recently too.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I can't afford gold.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 2006 Finned Partial Collar $5 AGE Mint Error PCGS MS-69...

Another 2006 $5 AGE full Partial Collar Mint Error NGC MS-69...

1993 $50 AGE PCGS MS69 Partial Tilted Collar Mint Error...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat item

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bolt Collection (from 1974) had

about 8 US Gold major error coins,

including what I consider to be the

best Off Center US Gold Coin -

An 1895 $5 Liberty, Struck 30% off center

at exactly 12:00, in Choice Proof-Like Condition.

There's also the unique 1851 $20 Liberty struck

on a Large Cent planchet that I owned three times

back in the '70's/early 80's, and wasn't smart

enough to keep it for myself. It's been in the

best collection of Off Metal Coins for decades.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several known US gold coins with clipped planchets, I am going from memory so consider this a partial and highly suspect list:

$1: 1851 (owned by a friend, I have seen photos)

1853 (discovered by a board member here, certified AU by NGC, I later purchased it through an eBay auction and sold it to the same person who owns the 1851)

1873 (in my collection, again purchased through an eBay auction)

$2.5: I cannot recall the date, but it was a Liberty head dated in the 1890s

I just checked through some old email and found reference to another one, an 1854-O that sold on eBay in November of last year

$5: there have been two sold in the last 12-18 months, one I saw listed in a Heritage auction, the other on eBay. The eBay coin was an 1868-S, I cannot recall the date of the Heritage coin but it was from the same period.

I have also seen a $5 AGE with a rim clip, I want to say it was dated in the late 1980s.

$10: There is an Indian with a rim clip, certified by NGC, I think dated either 1912 or 1915, the clip is very difficult to see because of the lack of a raised rim.

$20: There is a 1905 in an ANACS holder which was owned by my friend, then sold to a New England dealer. It appeared again on eBay about a year ago, listed by a collector. I do not know who owns it today.

The friend I keep referencing told me he knew of a clipped St Gaudens, but I have never seen any reference to it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have pictures of 20th and 19th century gold error coins?
    I've never seen one.
    I would think there would be a larger percentage than today, but maybe people paid attention to what they were doing more back then.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The friend I keep referencing told me he knew of a clipped St Gaudens, but I have never seen any reference to it.

The rim clipped planchet is the only Saint Gaudens $20 known beyond strike thru errors. Unlike the $20 Liberty there's no O/C, B/S/ or P/C errors known. I've seen the $20 clipped Saint and recall it sold for under $6K but can't remember the date although it was common and in MS.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold Fred and Mike Byers a pair of o/c gold dollars (one 5%, other 10%) maybe 6-7 years ago. Can't remember which coin to whom.

To my experience, the most common gold errors are Indian QE's. Loads of 3%-5% O/C.

Earlier this century, I bought a raw 1906-D $10 broadstruck 10%-12% out of collar from the Warren Miller (yes, Andy's Bust Dollar guy) collection for about $8500. When I sent it to Bruce Amspacher (co-founder of PCGS) he gasped. Might have been their first error (or maybe gold error) in a holder. Slabbed 65 (maybe 64) and was sold by Stacks' (IIRC) for about $20K the same night the Fenton '33 $20 was sold.

Wayne Freese had two 1901-S $5's (both gem deep dished cameo PL, ) as NSF in his Long Beach for years. One sold at a HA sale several years ago for maybe $40K.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg

I believe the 95 $5 was in a Kingswood Sale early 2000's. No in-hand, but the picture was astounding image

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg

i would have loved to see that one.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll find a fair number imaged here:
    http://minterrornews.com/museum.html .
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ColonelJessup

To my experience, the most common gold errors are Indian QE's. Loads of 3%-5% O/C.

True.

The strange thing is that there are no Indian $5's struck off-center.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great pics and info, especialy the museum link.
    There is a lot cool ones there. image
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few error golds. A $1 coin with medalic allignment, and a $2 1/2 with a pretty decent sized die rotation.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coins for sure !!!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd bump this as there are a couple of very nice NGC certified $2.5 clips currently wrapping up on eBay:

Unfortunately the clip on the 1926 is obscured by the prongs on the holder, though that doesn't seem to be holding down the price.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file