Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Your most thrilling purchases 2015

Time flies!

Only a few weeks and 2015 is already over...

So let us look back: What was (were) your most interesting or thrilling purchase(s) in 2015?

Comments

• Options
    I'm afraid it's no surprise that MY most thrilling purchases in 2015 were these five notes for my $1000 1934 LGS set!

You can read the whole story in another thread

Nearly two years ago...

if you don't already know it.

• Options
    My most thrilling purchases of 2015? I suppose it has to be:

==

==

== The story of the Emden will have you sitting on the edge of your seat, you can't turn the pages of the story fast enough. Think about it, a German World War I cruiser detached from the fleet in the Pacific, campaigns ferociously in the Indian Ocean, finally sunk by the Australian cruiser Sydney. Part of the crew escapes, makes their way in a sailing craft across the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea, up the Red Sea, by camel to Damascus and Constantinople, and then finally home to Germany.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Originally posted by: techwriter
    My most thrilling purchases of 2015? I suppose it has to be:
    ==
    ==
    == The story of the Emden will have you sitting on the edge of your seat, you can't turn the pages of the story fast enough. Think about it, a German World War I cruiser detached from the fleet in the Pacific, campaigns ferociously in the Indian Ocean, finally sunk by the Australian cruiser Sydney. Part of the crew escapes, makes their way in a sailing craft across the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea, up the Red Sea, by camel to Damascus and Constantinople, and then finally home to Germany.

Great notes, great ship and great story behind that ship!
    Wonderful!
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a toughie for me as I have made hundreds of purchases this year and I have many favorites that send my mind skyward.....many! But,ultimately,I picked this note as it was amazing how I ended up with it and it is certainly the most memorable of my buys.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Billy and I had to send someone on a plane to Asia... weathered the storm of much anxiety at all points from the negotiation to the long flight to customs, etc. When the pack made it into my hands (after more than a few "bad news" texts and emails) I was a relieved and happy guy... thrilling may be an understatement LOL

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Not a big $ item (well under $100), and "just" one of many purchases, but no question on this. Here's why: linky and here: all of 'em
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: amrys
    I'm afraid it's no surprise that MY most thrilling purchases in 2015 were these five notes for my $1000 1934 LGS set!

You can read the whole story in another thread if you don't already know it.

thats awesome image
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    A number of really good ones:

1934 St. Louis Mule-Non-Mule Change Over Pair

High Grade 1934A L-B Block

CU 1934A SF $20 Star

• Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Been a lot but this one comes to mind first:

And I was really happy to get this one from a seller in Malaysia: image
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    IMG]
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Great note Alex! I love the old Syria and Lebanon notes, they are so beautiful!!!

I had a really tough time deciding what my most thrilling was. That was a perfect way to state the topic, it made me take some extra time to think about it. There are so many incredible small size US notes I picked up this year that it is impossible for me to choose.

So instead, I went world and it was no question my Mexican Poker Chip notes! Both were from this year's Memphis. A few years ago, I saw this design in the mega thick world catalog. It jumped right off the page and just blew my mind! I hoped to own an example one day and ended up with a killer pair instead!!!

• Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    This was thrilling for me to find...the only counterfeit example of the 4th issue 25C note....up until several months ago, not known to exist and one of a kind!

• Options
    I don't play favorites... my most thrilling purchase is the one I just made until the next one comes along... image

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the top pop 1296 fractionals...This is the rare variety with the extremely large "a" 7mm to the lower right of its normal position. This unusual size and placement occurred only on plate #144, which was one of 90 plates
    used for this issue.

• Options
    Originally posted by: dtreter
    This was thrilling for me to find...the only counterfeit example of the 4th issue 25C note....up until several months ago, not known to exist and one of a kind!

Great find Dave!

• Options
    Originally posted by: DepressionscripGuy

I don't play favorites... my most thrilling purchase is the one I just made until the next one comes along... image

That's sort of the way it is with me too! Hard to single out favorites over a year's time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: tomtomtomtom
    Originally posted by: dtreter

Great find Dave!

Nice notes everyone! Congratulations Dave on a SUPER find!! For me NOTHING trumps rarity when it comes to collecting anything and is one of the greatest drawing card to currency collecting. At least that is my humble opinion.

Mike
    Collecting Census Data on Rep of TX Consolidated Fund Notes: I Would Appreciate The Serial Numbers of Any Notes You Might Have. Thanks!!
  • Options
    daveudaveu Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    In 2015 I was able to find the missing notes needed to complete three sets I've been working on:

$1 FRN X000000X super radars

$1 FRN 0-1 binary 7-of-a-kind

$1 FRN 0-9 progressives

It's always a treat to complete a set.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    I was pretty excited to get this unlisted Terry, Pelton & Company sheet from the North Providence Bank. More info here.

My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    i was pretty happy about this one, a real shock to see it pop up recently:

• Options
    Not from 2015 but his big brother - Only the numbers without image ( of 10101010 ) image

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    2015 proved to be a challenging year on my end. Business was very unpredictable (and largely consisted of past customers and referrals ).

Over the course of the year, I purged out a lot of lower end material for better material, and upgraded several notes.

My best upgrade was the $10 1934 C*. I had a ratty VG, and upgraded to a solid VF.

I was able to pay off the 1934 $10 K* LGS.

I was able to trade off a bunch of circulated funnybacks and a couple other notes for this.

I was able to make a few other small acquisitions over the past year.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    My biggest and most meaningful was picking up much of the two dollar notes in Lew Dufault's personal collection:

• Options
    nice everyone!

Two more I cant believe i forgot:

• Options
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha
    nice everyone!

Wow! I like this solid star!

Fantastic note!

• Options
    well, then you get one more LOL

• Options
    well, then you get one more LOL

Unbelievable! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    i am all out now LOL!
  • Options
    Greg 77777777 imageimageForgot the boing 747 image

• Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I can't pick just one. Here's my favorite acquisitions of this year. There's one here because I was underbidder in today's Spink auction:

imageimage

Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    This was a pretty nice addition too! Not offiicially mine yet but I'll be acquiring it when it comes back from grading in February!

• Options

An UnReported Last Sheet Note. Last Serial Number Notes Are Cool!
    My Collection of National Notes
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
  • Options
    Last sheet note, that's cool!!!!
  • Options
    This was a good year to add to my collection but these two I really enjoyed buying.

Looking for Great West Virginia nationals. Also collect large size type.
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Those are beautiful! Nice notes, wvnationals!!!
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amrys
    nice everyone!

Wow! I like this solid star!

Fantastic note!

Super!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: wvnationals
    This was a good year to add to my collection but these two I really enjoyed buying.

Yikes!....wonderful!
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.

The color and centering is quite nice for these early type notes.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Just got this one back reholdered. Previously in the old flimsy side label holder.

• Options
    This note is doesn't carry the thrill of acquisition as does the Emden note I posted earlier but the sentimental value is worth more than $$;

==

== my Katrina survivor

==

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    TIPPAHNUMTIPPAHNUM Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"having money's not everything and not having it is."

-Kanye West

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    My most thrilling purchase came early in the year at the 2015 FUN show - but it wasn't a banknote. At the Bureau of Engraving & Printing exhibit, I was lucky enough to draw the opportunity to buy the #1 special edition intaglio reprint of the 1915 Panama-Pacific Expo award certificate. Not only is it a beautiful work of art, but the Bureau only produced 40 of these, making it one of the rarest souvenir cards in existence.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    That is beautiful!!
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice notes everyone.
  • Options
    MAM0912MAM0912 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    My most thrilling purchase if anything for where I was, watching my iPhone while

waiting to board a flight to Tampa from Newark. While everybody here for the most

part was watching the Manifest Auction on Oct 24th. I was interested in Heritage's

Eric P. Newman collection with several nice NJ obsoletes. 2 I had, another 2 I lost out to insane prices

but I was able to win this one with a proxy bid. I was the underbidder to one on an LK auction.

Marty

US Obsoletes esp NJ, WEB Notes,

National Iron Bank of Morristown (#1113) and Irish Currency
  • Options
    Good looking notes !
    I collect anything from Gold Certificates to Hundred dollar federal reserve notes.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I was able to pick up this sheet recently. South Carolina fractionals. 15 notes, 11 varieties and one error note based on denominations and watermark. The notes were categorized by Mr. Austin Sheheen and the benefit of seeing a complete sheet is noticing the nuances that could constitute other varieties. For example, within a denomination there might be more than one font used for the same text.