Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Why can't we post large images anymore??

I don't think that it has been mentioned before, but why does the new software not allow large images anymore?

Every image is scaled down to 556 px horizontally (less than 200 KB). They are not hosting the images, so why?

It looks like they load the image at the larger size and then scale it down?

This really precludes looking at details, unless you cut the image into several separate parts.

I guess it is time to write more papers than post here.

Bernie
Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

Comments

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    testing larger image...

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Yup, it got scaled: 1,725px × 1,131px (scaled to 961px × 630px)

Kinda sucks.

Maybe it is that the metal disc images do not need to be large to show detail.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    http://jim61.com/allworldend61/armenia p-31 f001.jpg" alt="test" height="1725" width="1131

I tried using the image tag to specify the size, it still resizes it
  • Options
    This just my opinion: possibly the reason for restricting image size, especially WIDTH is to prevent the introduction of scrolling to a thread. What this means is: IF someone posts an image that is TOO WIDE for the "normal" screen width then the thread window will expand the horizontal to accommodate the full width of the image; the expanded width then causes the scroll bar to appear at the bottom of the screen; and then the user has to 'scroll' left and right across the screen to see the entire image.

Hope that all makes sense. Oh well, just an opinion and a guess.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: techwriter

This just my opinion: possibly the reason for restricting image size, especially WIDTH is to prevent the introduction of scrolling to a thread. What this means is: IF someone posts an image that is TOO WIDE for the "normal" screen width then the thread window will expand the horizontal to accommodate the full width of the image; the expanded width then causes the scroll bar to appear at the bottom of the screen; and then the user has to 'scroll' left and right across the screen to see the entire image.

Hope that all makes sense. Oh well, just an opinion and a guess.

Yes, but what's wrong with scrolling? It worked fine in the past.

Are they doing all of this to be compatible with the smart phones?

Bernie

• Options
    BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Here is something really weird. On my Mac I use the command+ to increase the size of the font. In the past this also increased the size of an image. However, when I repeatedly use this command, the font size increases but the image size decreases. Thus you get the largest picture when your font is tiny. That is, the image scaling factor is a function of your font size.

Bernie

• Options
    Back when we were discussing problems with the new software I read where it was designed to re-size images to what you were using to view.

I think the apps for phones and other devices is when this comes into play. This was the primary reason they had to update/redo the software. Similar (I guess) to going from WinXP to Win7 ect. Software had to be totally re-written to add those features.

I am on my computer with 23.8" monitor @1920x1080 and full screen Jim61's image is "1,725px × 1,131px (scaled to 1,271px × 833px)". When I squish down to a narrow window it goes down to "1,725px × 1,131px (scaled to 728px × 833px)" Edit: Hit the refresh and the correct proportions returned.

The Coins forum was screaming bloody murder because when the software first came out those 'round discs' where appearing "out-of-round" when viewed on different devices, ie Computer, Phone and whatever you guys are using. I'm too damn lazy to look for all the different threads in all the different forums available to track down the post. I'm sure it was in the Coins forum.

I couldn't say if using your computer gives the best results for posting pictures. I'd say contact a moderator with questions but I don't know how to. You could cheat and use the "Report this to a Moderator" just below your message. Not sure you'll get a response or not. That's what I did when the new software version came out.

Edit to add: IIRC they did say the scrolling was eliminated because of the new apps.

* Some are still unable to get their posts to format correctly, especially if images are involved. (I have no problems getting my posts to format correctly) It's really annoying when there's a word(s) on the same line next to an image instead of above or below the image like it should be.
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post explains why I've pretty much given up on the forums. I have no clue how to post pictures of new acquisitions anymore.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    posting images is basicly the same, use the reply instead of the quick reply to get the menu.
    BR>or just paste the img link into the quick reply.

• Options
    Originally posted by: DanCong

posting images is basicly the same, use the reply instead of the quick reply to get the menu.or just paste the img link into the quick reply.

Your reply did not format correctly for me. See the * comment in my above post. Appears you are using HTML to try to get a line break. I can still simply hit return

and finish on a new line.

This having to learn HTML to simply post a reply, so it looks like it was typed on an old typewriter, is frustrating numerous members across all forums and they have simply STOPPED posting! Case in point is 2ndCharter, he's given up posting due to this crappy software re-write.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

yup, got rescaled. It is a large image.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Nothing like providing a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. I never saw any problem with large images being posted. Once in a great while you would have to scroll right to see the rest of the image. But many times a large picture being posted was not intentional and other users usually pointed out the mistake and future posts were corrected.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade