Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

You know when you buy something you know nothing about

You know when you buy something you know nothing about? Ok well maybe not everyone does this but I guess I do (sometimes). While searching for Grand Rapids nationals I came across these depression scrip notes that I had never seen before. Through all the years checking on eBay, heritage, etc for Grand Rapids notes this was the first time I had ever seen these. After a quick consultation with forum members sellitstore and depressionscripguy to cover my butt just in case I decided I should pull the trigger on these very reasonably priced pieces ($80 for all three). I try my best to only focus on nationals but I think these will have a cool place in my collection. My main attraction to currency is the history behind it. With that being said, I take this as a neat opportunity to learn more about an interesting era in our country. Enjoy.

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that you will ever regret buying these but you might very well have regretted it if you passed.

They weren't expensive yet would be hard to replace. The $10 is mentioned but not listed in Shafer-Mitchell and all are an unlisted issue date.

Congratulations on a nice addition to your collection.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    At that price you cannot go wrong. Except for the fairly common pieces if you cannot really go wrong on Depression Scrip at $20-30.00 per piece.

PS. I bought a Grand Rapids piece also this past week because the price was right.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are great! Very attractive design and paper/background.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't regret buying them, I might have regretted not buying them - because you might very well not see those again.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Glad I could help. And yes, they are certainly nice.

As I told TheGrandRapidian, there are 3 known issue dates for these notes from Board of Education. April 10, 1933, May 8, 1933 and June 1, 1933 for all 3 denominations. There are also specimen notes known for these same "Board of Education" issues. Back in 1984 when the Mitchell / Shafer catalog came out, only the $1 and $5 from April 10 and the $1 from May 8 were known. But that catalog is seriously out of date and missing alot of info today.

I have been told for many years there is also a July 2, 1933 issue, but I have never seen them in person or a picture of them. There's an old timer in SW Michigan that claims to have them in his collection, along with alot of other unknowns, but he hasn't let me see them yet. I've only seen a small portion of his collection to date. So for now it's just a rumor / speculation. I keep hoping and ever so often I go see him and he shows me a little bit more of the mystery. He likes to remain very much in seclusion. And he has some spectacular notes that even puts my collection to shame at times.

Not to hijack your thread, but here are a couple more pics you might like:

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lettow

At that price you cannot go wrong. Except for the fairly common pieces if you cannot really go wrong on Depression Scrip at $20-30.00 per piece.

PS. I bought a Grand Rapids piece also this past week because the price was right.

I saw that... image But I got one from the same seller for $10 more which was I think is right at the top end of it's value. Now I see he has another for $60. I think he is feeling out the market. $60 will be a tough sale unless someone really wants it.

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He sold the last one at $60.

Bet he's regretting pricing the set of three so low.

Now we KNOW that you got a good buy, GR.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    I saw that too. I'm glad I was able to get the 1, 5, 10 set and at such a good price.

One other question I had about these pieces was whether or not there is typically a difference in price or collector preference if they are stamped or punch cancelled or neither like the one's I purchased?

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    The preference would be uncanceled.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TheGrandRapidian

I saw that too. I'm glad I was able to get the 1, 5, 10 set and at such a good price.

One other question I had about these pieces was whether or not there is typically a difference in price or collector preference if they are stamped or punch cancelled or neither like the one's I purchased?

Makes no difference to me. Actually on some issues, I prefer the punch cancel because alot of times it was punch cancelled with the date it was cashed in instead of just a single punch hole. Adds another layer to the piece for the sake of history.