Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

chemically altered $2 red seal OR genuine error?

I know, I know. Completely unmentioned by the seller. Not being sold as an error. BUT this one looked different than the "orange seal" fakes. The numbers and seal appear to be missing, but does the engraving near the missing red ink seem washed?

First reaction is FAKE of course. Until better pictures, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    The right grey TWO looks faded/interrupted. But the pictures are so grainy and with yellowish pixels, it is really hard to see for sure. It is likely a case where if it is too good to be true then it is. If it is cheap and with a rock solid return policy (eBay) it may be worth a closer look. Although as said, the TWO on the right looks messed with.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    At first glance, I do not like it.

To better determine you really need to be able to pick this up in your hands.

The first test would be the nose test.

Then since it is a 1953 and not well worn, some embossing should still be there IMO.

Then look at the red ink removal areas under a higher power loupe.

Just my initial thoughts.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Jim. My initial thought was the note has been tampered with or altered.
  • Options
    UPDATE:

In hand in low light it looked good. However, in bright daylight you could tell it was a bit lighter in the red ink areas. The note also had no embossing and yes it did smell like soap or something. I returned this note, no problem. I had a feeling it was worked on, but it was worth a shot. As always, thanks for your thoughts.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the followup update. I am glad you were able to determine it was not as expected and was able to return it.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, with todays modern cameras and cell phones you would have to take a photo in purposefully dim light to get that grain.

There seems to be a bright patch where the reds were but the photo makes it difficut to tell.
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Fake.

I have seen $5 red seals with full embossing with no red overprint. The give-away was the paper was too bright.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.