Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Dog Vignettes

I did not want to hijack the other thread, so I created a new one. I know this was a popular vignette.

Not sure if there already is a thread on this, but we always stand to see a few more pictures

Here is an American Banknote proof of a dog vignette and a stock certificate with that famous dog.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

• I have all the notes from this issue except a nice quality $5 which is a stunning note. Here is the $1 dog

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.
  • MAM0912MAM0912 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    A variation of the dog with key and chest

Marty

US Obsoletes esp NJ, WEB Notes,

National Iron Bank of Morristown (#1113) and Irish Currency
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    A bit tough to see but the hound's face is in the lower central vignette.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Here are a few.

Check this one out. It's the only one I know of where it's a puppy and "Not" a grown adult dog but I may be wrong.

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Love the vignette on that Bank of Michigan note!

Detail:

Detail:

My website: RICurrency.com
  • MR CurrenSee - you get the you suck award for winning that after I forgot to bid on it. That is a great example and a fantastic price
  • bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    image Steam Power
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a dog underneath the table.

I just realized I have this doggy too!

• Not the "famous" dog but a few dogs.

==

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    What a great thread! Really like the images posted so far. I happened to be thumbing through the American Bank Note Paper Money Collection of intaglio reprints and was surprised to find five obsoletes that showed dogs!
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
    The dog on the Commercial Bank note reminded me of another vignette, so I dug through my railroad stocks and found a couple more.

• from an elk's lodge note

How did I forget this one? I wish the stock wasn't written on, but it's still a striking vignette. I removed the visual distractions on the close-up.

• TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanCong

from an elk's lodge note

I have never seen these before... Those are some pretty awesome backs!

• Recent eBay wins, first an American Banknote vignette cut

The seller lists the items this was used on as:

El Banco De Trujillo, Peru, 50 Centavos, Face

El Banco De Trujillo, Peru, 5 Soles, Face

El Banco De Espana, Spain, 1000 Oesetas, Back

American Legion Of Honor, Benefit, 1881

Warrant Of The City Of Memphis, Tennessee, $2

Trader's Bank, St. Louis, Missouri, Check

none of which I currently have, but would be nice to find

and a nice train stock certificate, with a dog vignette at bottom
    Dan, I recognized the first vignette from the American Bank Note Archive Series, Vol 1 (1987). The "Animal Kingdom" panel also features a dog portrait at the bottom, which we've seen in earlier posts.

This got me wondering about dogs featured on other panels in the ABN series. I have all six portfolios so I went digging. There are actually a great many, but I'll only post the most prominent dogs here. They also appear in a number of banknote vignettes as members of rural families and companions to frontiersmen.

ABN repeated the Animal Kingdom theme in most of the portfolios. In 1988, this panel included "Dog and Treasury," engraved in 1874 by James Smillie for ABN. It appears on a 50 peso note from El Banco Mexicano in Chihuahua.

On the 1989 panel, you'll find "Hound's Head," engraved in 1866 by Henry Beckwith, also for ABN. It appears on the back of a 5 peso Argentina note from El Banco Provincial de Santa Fe in 1874, and in 1872 on the back of a 10 soles note from El Banco National del Peru in Lima.

The nicest thematic panel of the series, though, is from 1992, entitled "Man's Best Friend." It features eight engravings specifically of dogs. Many of these appear on stocks, bonds and banknotes. Rather than typing it all out, I'll post the information sheet that accompanies the panel.

I can post close-ups of these, if you like. The most interesting one is in the center, an action scene of a dog rescuing a toddler from drowning in the creek -- it's titled "Saved."

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

but nothing beats the real one image

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    What a cutie image
  • thanks for posting the sheet and the reference to where they were used. I'll have to look for those. These cuts I have gotten are probably from the archive sale, but I am not sure of the age.
    Dan, I found one more for your thread. From another railroad stock certificate. This little Scottie was perched above the T.