Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Interesting European Map Video

1000 years of European history at youtube Linky

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Ha, fun. Watch as Poland gets wiped off of the map for awhile.

As a collector of Russian coins who is native to the US, it is hard to imagine some of the countries that the Russian Empire dominated or ruled for awhile that had different territorial names then but are not necessarily independent countries now or are under a different name, like Wallachia and Moldova. Also, regional names and things make for interesting learning like White Russia.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really cool. I expected the crazy quilt of the German States, but boy, northern Italy sure was, too, wasn't it? Despite the speed at which the years sped by, you could see the German Third Reich swallow much of Europe in a brief flash and then disappear. There is no ISIS appearance at the lower right corner of the map in the Levant, but that animation was done in 2014 or earlier.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting video - it has been bookmarked to watch again. I had to do some google research to figure out why Portugal disappeared for a period of 40 years in the mid 16th century. I didn't realize there was an Iberian Union for a few decades when Phillip II of Spain united the crowns under the Spanish Hapsburg rule.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: worldcoinguy

Interesting video - it has been bookmarked to watch again. I had to do some google research to figure out why Portugal disappeared for a period of 40 years in the mid 16th century. I didn't realize there was an Iberian Union for a few decades when Phillip II of Spain united the crowns under the Spanish Hapsburg rule.

Me neither, and I missed that during the animation. Must've been watching the German States too much.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is permanent.