Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error experts: 1884-O Morgan- Partial Collar?

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
A dealer friend of mine found this in a group of BU Morgans he bought. The weight is correct. I'm thinking this is a partial collar error, where the collar was level and not tilted, but the diameter on the obverse doesn't seem to be larger- I'm thinking metal would've 'squished out' with no collar to keep it from doing so. Any ideas?

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Pick out which one you have .
    Hard to tell with only theses images .

Vam World
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does not seem so.
  • Options
    Not an overlapping reeding VAM. The reeding only comes 3/4 of the way up on the edge of the coin. The top image shows this best...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the diameter of the Reverse (reeding side) the

same as a normal dollar? It should be.

Although the obv. should be slightly larger in diameter,

you say it isn't - is it a 'bit' larger?

It looks like a genuine Partial Collar ("Railroad Rim") to me.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Railroad rim partial collar... Nice find! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg
    Is the diameter of the Reverse (reeding side) the
    same as a normal dollar? It should be.

Although the obv. should be slightly larger in diameter,
    you say it isn't - is it a 'bit' larger?

It looks like a genuine Partial Collar ("Railroad Rim") to me.

Thanks, Fred!

I'll do some finer comparisons against a normal coin when I get home- the reeded side did appear to be normal diameter.

Is a non-tilted partial collar a common occurrence? I've only ever see them tilted- this one appears to be at the same level all the way around.

• Options
    Partial collars are actually more common then tilted partial collars on Morgan dollars and in general. The thin partial collar as seen here is pretty common on Morgan dollars when such errors are encountered. Still a very nice find especially on a higher grade host.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck
    Partial collars are actually more common then tilted partial collars on Morgan dollars and in general. The thin partial collar as seen here is pretty common on Morgan dollars when such errors are encountered. Still a very nice find especially on a higher grade host.

Thanks! I'm going to VAM it, and get it certified as both the VAM and the error...

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck is correct - 'normal' partial collars are more easily found than

Tilted partial collars -

I like full partial collars, not tilted, but there are exceptions to that preference.

Sometimes PCGS will put "Tilted Partial Collar Strike" on the tag.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg

Broadstruck is correct - 'normal' partial collars are more easily found than

Tilted partial collars -

I like full partial collars, not tilted, but there are exceptions to that preference.

Sometimes PCGS will put "Tilted Partial Collar Strike" on the tag.

I agree with Broadstruck to a degree - level partial collar errors are more easily found than tilted partial collars, but the former occur far less frequently than the latter , and a Morgan with a full, level railroad rim (50% of the rim is not reeded on the entire diameter) is at the far end of the spectrum of scarcity. The last full railroad rim I owned was an 1881 PCGS MS62 Morgan that was sold to a dealer (who collects errors). The coin traded at $650.

Here is a '99-O that was struck almost completely out of collar:

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

if the collar gets too far off, loke all the way, then it becomes broadstruck, yes?

one of those one error into another situation.

cool coins.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC

if the collar gets too far off, loke all the way, then it becomes broadstruck, yes?

one of those one error into another situation.

cool coins.

Yes, a broadstrike occurs only when the collar provides no limit of metal flow of the planchet during the compression of the dies. A broadstrike will exhibit no sign of edge reeding anywhere on a reeded edge type coin.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool error! Yes, it's not a super rare error, but they're not common, either. Partial collars and struck-thru grease are probably the only Morgan errors that aren't extremely expensive. Maybe also very minor clips on a 1921.

Wet-finger estimate of the OP coin is that it would go for $150-200. I'll defer to someone who actually buys and sells these, though, should they chime in with a value.
  • Options
    I see it as a $400+ coin in a PCGS holder attributed as a Partial Collar. The only problem with adding the VAM variety on top of the Mint Error is it will become a White Elephant when it's time to sell. As mint error collectors will not want to pay extra for the VAM variety & VAM collectors will not want to pay up for the mint error. You'll have to find that one special collector who will be enamored enough with the coin to own both.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file