Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Two new Matte Proof Lincoln Sets, #2 & #3

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
Tim Liston has put up both of his Matte Proof Lincoln sets. They are very nice sets, and worth checking out. I have asked him to join the boards, and I hope he does.
Doug

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Doug
    To have not 1 but 2 sets of that calibur is an astonishing accomplishment.KUDOS to him and the Registry.I'm glad I stayed out of the Matte Proofs.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Do you think your friend Tim would have any sources for a 1909 VDB matte Lincoln? Looking for one. Thanks, Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Outstanding! I'll second Don's comment. It's tough enough to complete this set!

perfectstrike (David)
  • Options
    Actually, he has been out of collecting for the last several years and these have been on ice since then. They are all in green holders, by the way!

You know he could have put up ONE technically better set, but he chose a classier approach. One is a "medium" red-brown set, and the other set is all color.

It is really quite an accomplishment.
    Doug
  • Options
    Hey thanks all for the compliments. I started collecting the two sets about 12 years ago and have had most of them for at least eight years. I went to a lot of shows back then, but I have not been to a coin show in probably six or seven years. The "color" set (Liston One) is a really fantastic set, maybe the nicest RB set that will ever be assembled. All nine coins exhibit a lot of vivid color. The 1915 is in a holder that says 67BN but apparently PCGS did not know (despite the luster) what to designate a copper coin that is electric blue-green. I would love to offer high-quality pictures to show you, any idea how I might accomplish that? The "medium RB" set (Liston Two) needs a bit of help but only in the non-key dates. I just don't have the time to spend anymore. The VDB and the 1916 are outstanding. All but one of the 18 coins are green label, someday I may resubmit them. From what I hear I would expect to get a few upgrades. My wife thinks I'm crazy, so I told her I will sell one of the collections in 2009, when the Lincoln cent turns 100, and when my oldest starts college. But between you and me (she doesn't read this forum!) I suspect the sets will remain together for many many years. I have two sets and two daughters. By the way I also own a set of Lincoln business strikes in ANACS holders. The older ones (1909-1929) are 64-65 RB and the newer ones (1929-1993) are 65-67 RD. Many are actually in the old ANA holders. This too is also a very nice set. Thanks again. Tim
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Great sets, Tim. We are honored to have a collector of your stripe as a board member. Welcome.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Tim, welcome to the board and congratulations on two super Matte Proof sets. We hope you will visit here often and we would appreciate your comments.

I have a question for you regarding your Matte Proofs. Do all of your Matte Proof Lincolns exhibit the diagnostics that Leonard Albrecht described in his 1983 ANAAB report? I know that there may be some that are true Matte Proofs that don't show his diagnostics, but of the 18 you have, how many of them do show them. Thanks, Steveimage
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Tim. Glad to have another Lincoln collector add to our continuing education.
    I just finished setting up my digital camera rig last night. I'm working on circulated cent pictures, but I'll drop a few toned in the batch (raw and slabbed) and let you know what works when I get to that far.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    To Steve: I do have a reprint of the Albrecht report but I can't tell you specifically whether my cents display the diagnostics. Next time I get to the vault I'll take the 17X glass and the report and take some notes and share them.

To perfectstrike: Good luck with the digital photos. I have an older 1 megapixel camera, and I bought a couple macro lenses and have tried my best. I can take pretty decent pictures of circ silver and even circ copper, but I have had no success accurately capturing toning on copper. But I have not been real patient. Maybe you have better equiment or more patience, I suspect you will need it if you are able to capture toning on a digital photo.

Thanks both.

Tim

• Options
    Tim, send me those coins and I'll take pictures for you and send you the pictures back. Yeah, just box them up and send them to me and make sure you put insurance on them . . . . yeah, you know lots of bad things happen in the mail . . . .
    Doug
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Tim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your sets sound Very nice.
    Great to have another Lincoln guy aboard !!!!!

Kevin