Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1762 Pas sau Sede Vacante Medal

One of the more eclectic themes that I find very interesting are Sede Vacante (Vacant Seat) Medals/Talers. Worldcoinguy has built quite a collection worth looking at. Until I met Brent (virtually and in person) I did not know much about Talers and knew nothing about the Sede Vacante issues. Through discussion and virtual "show and tell" I was sort of lured into buying a medal on the recent CNG auction. Large silver with very intricate designs and themes - what's there not to like!

** The extra space character in the city's name is forced otherwise forum software asterix's it for that 3 letter donkey word. I guess the coders tightened up the posting rules.

GERMANY, Pas sau (Bistum). Sede Vacante. 1762. AR Medal (44.5mm, 25.67 g, 12h). By J. C. Busch and J. L. Oexlein. Dated 1761 in Roman numerals. Obv: St. Stephan seated facing on ornate sella, wearing episcopal regalia; below, coat-of-arms in ornate frame; MDCCLXI in exergue. Rev: City view, seen in aerial perspective, with the rivers INN FLUS (Inn River), DONAU (Danube), and ILZ (Ilz) marked; PATAVIA below exergual line; fifteen crowned coats-of-arms around, star between upper two shields . Kellner 171; Zepernick 247. Lovely toning.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you post the city name without asterix hitting you? P*****au
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Put an empty block of code for something like bold, e.g. [b ][ /b], but without the spaces, in the middle. Assembling and amassing a classy assortment of Passau assets.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a gorgeous medal. I love the intricate details and the toning. When I see someone in a mitred bishop's hat with a crozier on pieces of this era, I usually think Salzburg.

As to subverting the robocensor, not even the old code insertion trick has been working for me sometimes. It'll stick for one edit, but if I edit again, the asterisks come back. I think there has been a time or two it didn't work at all.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose you can guess my sentiments - great piece. Sharp detail and the colors are very appealing. I think you nailed it with this one.

Interesting to note that the "city of three rivers" on the German/Austrian border has current relevance in the news. The city of 50,000 is one of the biggest entry points for refugees flooding into Germany over the last year.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very beautiful, Z.

I have been intrigued by these medals especially with Iosephus posting some wonderful examples fairly regularly. I don't know if I can afford to jump into this area but if money were not an object, I would certainly be picking over your duplicates.