Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Big changes on the north side of Chicago

I have a tendency to check in occasionally on Wrigley Field using the following link to a live web cam outside the ball park.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois/chicago/wrigleyfield/?cam=wrigleyfield_hd

I was shocked to check in today after not going to this site for about three weeks to see some huge changes to the facade of the old place. Check out the pictures I posted below.

I used to work in the front office for the team and I am saddened to see the original offices where the smaller windows in the first picture once were are now gone. There was a great deal of history in those offices and to see them now gone is shocking and saddens me. I know time marches on and I am sure the restaurant or whatever money making operation that will occupy the old offices location will bring extra money to the team but I just dont have to like it. I am sure in the long run this will make the old place stable and allow it to be around for another century or so, so I must be happy about the change...i guess.

Thank you for allowing me to rant a bit here.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

Comments

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Was your next post going to include the 2016 Topps Wrigley Field construction set? If not, this should go into the Sport Talk forum. Thanks! Go White Sox!
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I would think that as someone who has been here a decade longer than you have that I would be allowed some leeway in off topic posts. At least that is how it used to be.

If my post offends you I am sorry but I think this thread is just fine right here.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no issue with this thread in this forum~Wrigley Field is an institution and at the heart of the sport many of us collect.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Grote. Thx for posting here.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Maybe Schwarber shoulda landed a home run ball there. They would have made it a monument. ;-)
  • Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting! GO CUBS GO!
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Grote too. Nothing wrong with posting it here in my opinion.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I don't see any reason why such an historic building can't be talked about on this forum.

After all, even though I'm not a CUBBIE fan, to me it's a "memorable or noteworthy thing"!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    At least you still have Wrigley. Maybe you'd still have Comiskey as well if Jerry didn't throw a fit and threaten to move the Good Guys to Florida if he didn't get his new park..."The Cell" indeed image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

I don't see any reason why such an historic building can't be talked about on this forum.

I found one.

"Rule 6) This forum is about collecting trading cards and/or memorabilia. If your post is not directly related to trading cards and/or memorabilia, then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed."

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I see a lot of sports memorabilia in that construction site. Reminds me of the bricks and seas other places sold off during remodeling/rebuilding.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

I see a lot of sports memorabilia in that construction site. Reminds me of the bricks and seas other places sold off during remodeling/rebuilding.

Exactly. I still have two bricks from the old Shea Stadium after they tore it down. Both came with holograms and COAs, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • It's memories. And thank you for posting. Here!
  • Originally posted by: MULLINS5

I see a lot of sports memorabilia in that construction site. Reminds me of the bricks and seats other places sold off during remodeling/rebuilding.

Well played!

Maybe now it can stay

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

I found one.

"Rule 6) This forum is about collecting trading cards and/or memorabilia. If your post is not directly related to trading cards and/or memorabilia, then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed."

Let's take a look at one definition of MEMORABILIA:
    mem·o·ra·bil·i·a
    mem(?)r?'bile?/
    noun
    plural noun: memorabilia

1. objects kept or collected because of their historical interest, especially those *****ociated with memorable people or events.

2. memorable or noteworthy things

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    This is an acceptable post and was good reading. Keep in mind most of us here on this board only go to this forum; so posting it somewhere else, we would not see it.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever since the site was updated with the new format it is the slowest I have ever seen it here since joining. I don't think we should be discouraging posts like this.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    cards/memorabilia vs..sports talk....hmmmm.....i def think memorabilia is the case....but even if it isn't and splitting hairs, the way this site is i may not have seen it elsewhere...i def don't visit all the diff forums.....thank you for sharing here.]

i find it very interesting and love to read and see the pictures of it....wow....to work there you prob have some stories that you could share? maybe?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: skrezyna23
    Was your next post going to include the 2016 Topps Wrigley Field construction set? If not, this should go into the Sport Talk forum. Thanks! Go White Sox!
    I see. A White Sox fan is taking issue with a thread regarding the renovation of the stadium that the crosstown rivals play in. Mmmk.

Thanks for sharing, Andrew.

Originally posted by: TNP777
    Originally posted by: skrezyna23
    I see. A White Sox fan is taking issue with a thread regarding the renovation of the stadium that the crosstown rivals play in. Mmmk.

Thanks for sharing, Andrew.

I was able to reach out to Skrezyna23 and we have traded so very good private messages. Between he and I...we are all good and I have zero issues with him. We have actually probably struck up a hobby friendship over this and it is my hope that going forward, we will stay in touch.

As for the other poster who had an issue with my post I repeat that hopefully my time here has allowed for some leeway on OT posts but I figure if the Mods didn't like it they would move it or they could even remove my posting privileges.

Seriously, these boards have been slow and I would think that any attempt at promoting a discussion of our hobby would be encouraged. I would hope the Mall Cops on our boards will leave the moderating to the moderating staff and just participate in the discussion.
    Originally posted by: mccardguy1

Seriously, these boards have been slow and I would think that any attempt at promoting a discussion of our hobby would be encouraged. I would hope the Mall Cops on our boards will leave the moderating to the moderating staff and just participate in the discussion.

Discussion of the hobby? A post about the Wrigley Field facade has nothing to do with the hobby. It obviously should have been posted in the sports forum. Whether you've been here for 11 years or 11 days, you should still follow the rules.

You do realize that there are some good discussions in the sports forum too, don't you? Why are some people so afraid of that forum? Is it because 10 fewer people might see your thread if you post it there? Maybe if you had posted it there, you would have received some actual replies, and not replies about which forum your thread belonged in.
    Who died and made you boss?

Like I said, if the mods don't like it they can certainly move it. OT posts have always been allowed as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

So relax pumpkin.....its gonna be ok.
    Originally posted by: mccardguy1

OT posts have always been allowed as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

No, "OT" is for when there is not an appropriate forum. Since there's a sports forum, sports posts go in there. Seems pretty easy.
  • New Shimmer is a floor wax!
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Is it really a big deal if there is an extra off topic thread (or 2 or even 7)? I know that rules are rules but if the thread doesn't appeal to you just move on. The more threads the better I say. It takes more time to complain than to just move on and there is enough complaining and negativity here already.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    seems someones panties are in a bunch!

I float to every forum here. I visit here to bring back childhood memories watch people rip. I think this post is fine where its at and thats my 2 cents worth!
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler