Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whats considered Joe DiMaggio's true RC?

I've been searching ebay because at some point I will want to get a low grade DiMaggio rc, but seems like every listing has a different card that says it's his RC lol.

Comments

• Options
    The 36 World Wide Gum is regarded as his true rookie card amongst collectors. Even cards in mid grade are extremely hard to come by and are VERY expensive.

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    A few others to consider are here.

I agree with the previous poster, if I had to pick one it would be the world wide gum.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    This:

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Is that one yours?
  • Options
    Is that one yours?

Yes. One of my faves.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: shagrotn77
    Is that one yours?

Yes. One of my faves.

Wow. Nice Joe D. RC. Incredible centering and eye appeal.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That V355 Joe D is outstanding. That card is incredibly difficult to find in any state, and the few higher graded ones are enormously expensive, so perhaps there are only a literal handful that both look nice and are relatively affordable. Of those few, I can't image one nicer than the one pictured. That is a very special card right there, mad props. I have always loved the back of that card, where it refers to him as, "Deadpan Joe." Hope to have one of those one day.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    I have always loved the back of that card, where it refers to him as, "Deadpan Joe." Hope to have one of those one day.

The back of the card also refers to Joe as "a giant Italian," which I've always found amusing. You'd never see something like that today.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Andy,

A very nice DiMaggio RC you have there. I didn't realize this was his rookie card either. I always thought it

was that '38 Goudey Heads-Up card.
  • Options
    i had always liked the pre-rookie 33-36 Zeenuts SanFranciso Seals (1934 batting came out first, the throwing version a year later)

This one used to be mine, but had to sell to a fella n54 member
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    I used to own what is likely the worst condition 1936 World Wide Gum rookie card...

Part of a 1930's scrapbook from Montreal that included tons of skinned, cut-trimmed, and glued World Wide Gum and O-Pee-Chee cards. Also pictured is what I consider Bob Feller's rookie card in the same awful condition. The scrapbook had a bunch of great newspaper clippings too.