Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Nefoundland please post your Images of Newfoundland coins

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello Members,
I believe one day we all wake up and find that NFL coins, raw and slabbed, will have increased by a considerable margin. Most of us will have a smile on our face and think to ourselfs: it was about time.
lately I have noticed a slight "pull up' for better grade and or scarcer NFL coins.
Is it maybe because of the exchange rate and hence US buyers "have more spending money?"
But perhaps not.
Recently a Newfoundland $ 2 SP 63 gold coin was sold at auction for a cool CHF 35,500 plus 15% juice.image I believe a new record?? for a $2 NFL?? ( ecluding the 1880)
here is the link to "maison Colombo Auction".
I was surprised. there must have been at least 2 bidders...???

here is a the image of the coin sold:

image ( copyright: Maison Colombo)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here are the first samples of some of my NFL coins.

comments welcome any time, especially about grade.

thanks everyone.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I adore all the cl*****ic coinage *****ociated with Canada and my favorite niche is NFLD. Here is a cool piece-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• When I was a newlywed, I turned several rolls of Newfoundland halves into a bank for face value.
    tomB

MS 63-64?
    Originally posted by: YQQ

tomB

MS 63-64?

It's in a PCGS OGH as SP64BN.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that $2 gold!
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one I have...

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Gee, a $2 gold it isn't but it is rather interesting NFLD coin:

==image

==

== now the interesting part, an E/E in the ONE

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• I love those large cent wreaths - oak leaves, acorns, pitcher plant leaves and flowers. How about somebody posting a small cent with a more realistic pitcher plant?
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Here is one I recently got.

imageimage
    YQQ, I really love all the die polish smothered all over the reverse of the 1944 five-cent piece. It appears that there is also some present on the obverse, too. Is it much less obvious on the obverse or is it simply the angle of the lighting making it difficult to see in the image?

Tom B

I have no idea about die polish. The coin in hand looks exactly like the images.

How can one tell about die polish? Is it good or is it a bad thing? Coin in hand looks fantastic and will be sent for grading.

hope to get a 64 or 65 out of it. I just received a few others, very similar NFL coins. might post later.

also received a $2 NFL 1881, as soon as I am in the "camera mood", I shall post some images.
  • coffeyce, very, very nice 1888. image

Retired

thank you. I submitted it to our host yesterday I should have it back in hand on 14 dec
    lets guess:

Au 55
    im guessing 50-53
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coffeyce
    im guessing 50-53

Looks like too much rub for AU, I'm thinking EF40
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    Originally posted by: coffeyce

thank you. I submitted it to our host yesterday I should have it back in hand on 14 dec

If I am interpreting the images correctly, as they appear on my monitor, then I don't see that coin ending up in a problem-free, graded holder. It looks to have been dipped and retoned.

Originally posted by: YQQ

Tom B

I have no idea about die polish. The coin in hand looks exactly like the images.

How can one tell about die polish? Is it good or is it a bad thing? Coin in hand looks fantastic and will be sent for grading.

hope to get a 64 or 65 out of it. I just received a few others, very similar NFL coins. might post later.

also received a $2 NFL 1881, as soon as I am in the "camera mood", I shall post some images.

YQQ, I am referring to what appear to be scratches or lines throughout the surface of the coin. However, they are not actually scratches into the surface, but are raised above the surface because they were imparted from the dies. When mint workers polish dies they often impart faint scratches into the die, which then show up as raised lines on the finished coins. Your five-cents appears to have wonderful die polish lines on its surface and I always thought this was a cool affect. Many matte proof or specimen coinage shows this, as well.

For a coin that I am more familiar with, look at the reverse of the 1919-C NFLD one-cent that I posted earlier in this thread. Beneath and between the lettering of "ONE CENT" it is apparent that there are fairly thick lines on the surface of the coin. These are not scratches into the surface of the coin, but are instead raised above the rest of the plane of the coin and were left from the minting process. Often, these patterns of die polish can be used as diagnostic markers to identify matte proof or specimen proof coinage.

TomB

thank you for that. I have other, very similar NFL high end pieces. I have to check them now and see...

maybe this weekend....

Have also seen this effect on some mainly older high grade Canadian coins.
    The 1888 Cent came back this morning. XF45. Gene was the closest.
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB
    I adore all the cl*****ic coinage *****ociated with Canada and my favorite niche is NFLD. Here is a cool piece-

Tom,
    I have been admiring this piece on your website for quite a while.
    Which I could afford to have it live with me.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
    wondering if this one grades SP ??? super coin!
  • Couple Newfoundland errors. Photos courtesy Alan Herbert. These were entered into the 'old' CONE registry.

==

1. the 1941 is OC-7019 4/4 Recut

2. the 1944 is OC-7698 / D-01; 2nd '4' Repunched

Retired