Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD

Obverse: DIVVS AVGVSTVS VESPASIANVS, laureate head right.

Reverse: two Capricorns supporting shield inscribed S C, celestial globe below.

Rome mint, RIC II, part 1, Titus 357; RSC II 497; BMCRE II 129; BnF III 101; SRCV I 2569. 19.3 mm, .541 g, die axis 180 degrees. Ex-Forum Ancient coins, 11/27/2015, prior provenance to the the Jeff Michniak Collection.

Vespasian was an important Roman emperor. He was the victor of the civil war and "Year of Four Emperors" in 69 AD, the founder of the Flavian dynasty, a masterful military commander, and the emperor who began construction of the Flavian Amphitheater, better known as the Colosseum, which would be completed under his son Titus.

It is evident from the realistic portrait here that he was not the most handsome man in history, but the coin itself is. The accounts of his death from diarrhea are not pretty either, but he is rumored to have said, "Oh dear, I think I am becoming a god", in a witty reference to the Roman practice of deifying dead emperors. By the time Titus issued this posthumous commemorative in his honor, he had in fact achieved that status: we see the title "Divus" in the coin's obverse legend.

This coin was described by the seller as "the nicest example of this type handled by Forum to date". That wasn't the determining factor in my decision to buy it, but it certainly didn't hurt. And I have long liked capricorn types on Roman coins, as that happens to be my zodiac symbol. (Not that I have much use for astrology beyond amusement purposes.) Note the nice broad flan and "full circle" of beading around the reverse.

Here I'll pause to tip my hat to Joe ("Smeagle"), of mighty Colosseo Collection fame. He not only helped me with the "shadowbox" Photoshop template you see in this coin's images, but has also helped me do the rest in my Box of 20 collection that way, since I lack the skill and software. And he's been a good advisor on ancient coin purchases. I was pleased when he approved of this one, especially so when he pointed out that an only marginally nicer example of the same type had just sold for nearly four times what I paid for this piece. The generous gift of his valuable time has been much appreciated.

Miscellaneous links:

Larger image

Former dealer listing

Wildwinds reference page (only shows one example for this type)

Comparison example mentioned above (NAC AG, Auction 86, lot 165, 10/2015)

Wikipedia links:

Vespasian

Titus

Flavian dynasty

Denarius

Capricornus

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty, historic example with all of the details present. Very nice buy indeed!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord you are getting very very good at this!
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning piece.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great looking coin !

What does the SC stand for ?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    simply amazing, I have always liked this type and was very tempted to use it myself in my 12 caesar's set but went with something else

this is far and away the nicest example of this type I have seen as well, well done image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bidask

"Issued by Decree of the Senate"
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zohar

Thank you, Z. I really appreciate that and can echo the same compliment back at you. I've been amazed at what an incredible collection of ancients you've built in such a relatively short time. I don't think I have ever seen so many NGC "star" labels as I have in your set- you must have a veritable galaxy goin' on.

(I have never had one. The one coin in my set that richly deserved a star- you can guess the one- didn't get it for some reason, though it got perfect scores in every other category. I don't expect this one to "star" either, though I hope for at least Ch VF with high strike and surface scores.)

Of course- like somebody else already mentioned above- you obviously have the means to pursue top quality, and it shows.

In my case FORVM's layaway plan was helpful here.

Originally posted by: NiceCurrency

Originally posted by: bidask

"Issued by Decree of the Senate"

Yes, that would be "Senatus Consulto"

Or maybe " South Carolina" if I lived about ninety miles north of where I am. image

PS- it is normally seen on bronze coins, not silver, because as that article mentions, bronze coins must have had a higher face value than their actual metal content by weight.

I suppose we see it here on a silver coin because Vespasian debased the silver denarius slightly in his reign?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great portrait, an interesting reverse, and a nice broad flan. Beautiful!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful post and congrats on acquiring that awesome Vespasian denarius LM!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    LM,

That is one impressive coin. I had never seen any Capricorn designs in the last two years and now here is your wonderful example. I have seen some Capricorns recently, usually of the one headed goat but nothing in near this condition.

I am impressed by this acquisition of yours. Good work.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a really handsome coin. I realize it is a shield between the capricorns, but I keep thinking it's a globe.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    The coin arrived today (well, Monday), and in hand it is even nicer on two fronts. One, there really is some luster there beneath the light toning. Two, the high relief really makes it "pop". I'd say FORVM's photographer nailed it in the pictures, and got as good a two-dimensional image as anyone is likely to get, but it's still nicer in hand.

It would be cool if NGC gives it an XF but I won't hold my breath. Choice VF is fine by me, as long as it gets the high strike and surface ratings it deserves (I think 5/5 Strike and at least 4/5 Surface?) We'll see.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love those surfaces! image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

No kidding! Way to go LordM image
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice!

Tom

• Options
    I happened to revisit this one today to reread the description I wrote, so while I'm here, why not send it back up into the sunlight for a little while.

PS- ten months after I got it, I still haven't gotten around to sending it off to NGC.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty neet............send her in

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I like it!
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    This one and my Hadrian are the only two raw ancients that need to go to NGC for my Box of 20 right now, so I've kind of been waiting until I at least add a third piece or get the chance to piggyback on someone else's submission.

• Options
    (Getting several double posts today. Grrr.)

• Options
    OrfewOrfew Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Wonderful coin! Fantastic portrait and a stunning reverse!
  • Options
    Lord as they say... if you ever get tired of this coin...
  • Options

Lord as they say... if you ever get tired of this coin...

Highest form of numismatic compliment there is, and coming from you, Z, high praise indeed.

In light of the quality of your other coins (and oh, that eye-searing new avatar piece you have!), I'm surprised anything I own would even be on your radar at all.

• Options
    Lord - look at your sigline collage again - you have LOVELY material!!

BTW - capricorns are cool! Here is mine - LINK
  • Options

Lord - look at your sigline collage again - you have LOVELY material!!

BTW - capricorns are cool! Here is mine - LINK

Ooh, you snuck that one past without me seeing it. Very nice.

As to my sigline, the Canadian piece at far right is gone, so it needs a small tweaking...