Home Testing Forum
Options

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD

Obverse: DIVVS AVGVSTVS VESPASIANVS, laureate head right.

Reverse: two Capricorns supporting shield inscribed S C, celestial globe below.

Rome mint, RIC II, part 1, Titus 357; RSC II 497; BMCRE II 129; BnF III 101; SRCV I 2569. 19.3 mm, .541 g, die axis 180 degrees. Ex-Forum Ancient coins, 11/27/2015, prior provenance to the the Jeff Michniak Collection.

Vespasian was an important emperor: he was the victor of the civil war and "Year of Four Emperors" in 69 AD, the founder of the Flavian dynasty, a masterful military commander, and the emperor who began construction of the Flavian Aphitheater, better known as the Colosseum, which would be completed under his son Titus.

It is evident from the portrait here that he was not the most handsome man in history, but the coin itself is. The accounts of his death from diarrhea are not pretty either, but he is rumored to have said, "Oh dear, I think I am becoming a god", in a witty reference to the Roman practice of deifying dead emperors. By the time Titus issued this posthumous commemorative in his honor, he had in fact achieved that status: we see the title "Divus" in the coin's obverse legend.

This coin was described by the seller as "the nicest example of this type handled by Forum to date". That wasn't the determining factor in my decision to buy it, but it certainly didn't hurt. And I have long liked capricorn types on Roman coins, as that happens to be my zodiac symbol. (Not that I have much use for astrology beyond amusement purposes.)

Here I'll pause to tip my hat to Joe ("Smeagle"), of mighty Colosseo Collection fame. He not only helped me with the "shadowbox" Photoshop template you see in this coin's images, but also has helped me do the rest in my Box of 20 collection that way (since I lack the skill and software). And he's been a good advisor on ancient coin purchases. I was pleased when he approved of this one, especially so when he pointed out that an only marginally nicer example of the same type had just sold for more than four times what I paid for this piece. The generous gift of his valuable time has been much appreciated.

Miscellaneous links:

Larger image

Former dealer listing

Wildwinds reference page (only shows one example for this type)

Comparison example mentioned above (NAC AG, Auction 86, lot 165, 10/2015)

Wikipedia links:

Vespasian

Titus

Flavian dynasty

Denarius

Capricornus

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.