Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cameras supporting tethering for coin pix

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have spent the last several days speaking with Canon nospeak regarding cameras that

support tethering. Have not been answered by Nikon or Sony. All I would like to know is whether anyone makes a digital camera that supports tethering to a pc with live view that

can be bought for under $400(not including software). If anyone can answer this I would truly appreciate it. If there is such a camera please inform me as to the brand and model.

Thank you,

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    I use Nikon Camera Control2. Nikon software that supports many of their cameras for tethering.
    Brian
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    sent you a pm.
  • Options
    Thank you Oney for the prompt response. I understand the various software available to *****ist in tethering, but is there a camera available with a lens for under $400 that will allow tethering to a pc?

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt for under $400 unless you are buying used. A 100mm Macro will eat up quite a bit of the $400. A tethering capable DSLR new will be near $300 for entry level.

Canon tethering software is free. That is one advantage over Nikon. Tethering software is not included with Nikon products. You must pay for 3rd party software. I'm not sure of the pricing, but Nikon Camera Control2 retails for just under $150, though you can probably find it cheaper.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Canon SL1...that's the camera I use, and it comes with the software and cables, etc.

Here's an eBay auction for BIN $310 or Best Offer
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your replies. You have given me much to consider and have at least made contact with a couple of sellers with complete packages in the range I am considering. I wish the manufacturers would be more informative where live view tethering is concerned. But then, perhaps I am just too much of a newbie to read between the lines.

Again, thank you.

Jim

BTW...many have pm'd me and I am not ungrateful, only cannot seem to answer your pm's. I have used the pm function many times to various forum members since the change, but now for some reason it says either not a member or member has refused pms. Change can be so aggravating.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file