Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hibernia Example

For about a year now I have been looking for a decent Hibernia Piece to put in my collection as most I've came across are worn. I had a seller show me this and I instantly bought it. While its not scare or rare I do like the design and for 30$ shipped I instantly took it.

1806 Ireland Farthing
imageimage

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you. I'm of Irish descent on my father's side, so I've always loved the harps. That's a pretty sharp coin, too.

I dug a 1782 Hibernia halfpenny here while metal detecting, once. It was a contemporary counterfeit. It was only a few feet away from another 1782 coin- a French Colony of Cayenne 2-sous piece- also a contemporary counterfeit. These and a 1779 Spanish Mexico 2-reales piece (and a really nice 1929 Standing Liberty quarter) all came up on an old plantation site on St. Simons Island, Georgia, where Aaron Burr was a guest in 1804 after he killed Alexander Hamilton in their infamous duel.

PS- speaking of Hibernia coins, this gilt proof (NGC PF64 UCAM) is my number one "seller's remorse" coin that I most wish I had back. It was a big ol' full penny, too, not just a halfpenny!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    OMG you sold that. I bet makes you want to jump out a window now. I love it. I would have bought it.
    Yeah, at the time I was focused on "sets" and wasn't doing my "Eclectic Box of 20" where anything goes. It didn't fit into any of the sets I had going (though it was a great standalone coin), so I let it go in the interest of "primary focus".

Now my primary focus is on stuff I like- not the contrived idea of predetermined sets, so I've been liberated. (Too late for that particular piece, though, alas.)

PS- and to replace it, I'd easily have to pay twice as much now- maybe even more than that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I just got it in hand today. I took better pictures I think it looks better in hand than the auction pictures.

imageimage
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Chris, that is a great coin. I have also been lazily looking for a nice example and would have jumped on this one too for sure.

Good catch.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool pick-up! Is that a clashed die? (George's neck)
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have quite an interesting collection going!

Irish coins are cool! image
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I like it.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland
    You have quite an interesting collection going!
    Irish coins are cool! image

that they are
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

Cool pick-up! Is that a clashed die? (George's neck)

Yes, there's definitely something going on there. Looks like George has some harp strings sticking out of his neck? Very interesting!