Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

New Cleveland Ohio Depression Scrip

DepressionscripGuyDepressionscripGuy Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2017 4:15PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum
More of my recent purchases. These are specimen notes for Cleveland Ohio. It's unknown if these are 1933 issues or 1907 even though one of mine has 1933 hand written on it. The style is more like the Panic of 1907 notes. I'm more inclined to say these are 1933 issues since this same printer printed other 1933 issues. No known issued notes of this particular design exist that I have ever seen. There was an Orange underprint, a Green underprint, and no underprint known in the Mitchell / Shafer catalog. Here is the Orange and no underprint versions. Too bad the auction wasn't for all 3.

Both of mine have a punch cancel that say - SPECIMEN - THE NATIONAL BANKNOTE CO. - CLEVELAND (pic reversed to make it readable)

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are fantastic! Congratulations!
  • Options
    Very nice, good for you and thanks for sharing. I don't collect your area but always like to see what was out there. I remember my Dad talking about the 'funny money' when he was a youngster in Ohio (Toledo and Columbus).
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Thanks.... although a fellow forum member won't be happy that I beat him out of these. He was the underbidder.

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DepressionscripGuy
    Thanks.... although a fellow forum member won't be happy that I beat him out of these. He was the underbidder.

I never hold any animosity or disappointment if someone wants to pay more than I do.

• Options
    Originally posted by: lettow

Originally posted by: DepressionscripGuy

I never hold any animosity or disappointment if someone wants to pay more than I do.

That's good to know... now if I could just convince myself to use that philosophy. But, I always look at it and wish I had bid even higher when I lose one.

• Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    I always love your Depression scrip and these notes are great! There are a few 1907 examples I've been looking for, but I'm a bit doubtful I'll ever find them.
    My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cinch
    I always love your Depression scrip and these notes are great! There are a few 1907 examples I've been looking for, but I'm a bit doubtful I'll ever find them.

What are you looking for.
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    1893 and 1907 panic scrip from Rhode Island, from the Third National Bank, Rhode Island Hospital Trust and the Rhode Island National Bank and various companies.

My website: RICurrency.com