Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Aww geez. Again?

11 watchers on this inflated priace

The last few sales driving the market on this issue? Seller appears to think so.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting. The POP has gone up at least 33% over the past year or so and during that time the door has been slammed shut on the very slim chance Donnie had of getting into the HOF. Not sure where the price spike is coming from.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The SMR just bumped up the PSA 10 value to $1,600. I also saw a PSA 10 Dwight Gooden go for over $1,100 and that used to be a $400 card. I almost bought one at that price. Whoops.

Key rookie cards across the board have moved up. At the moment it is what it is.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not really surprising. This card was around $1000 since at least 2012/2013. It really didn't go on a run during the latest bull market. The 1984 Donruss has a pop of 179 and that card is $600+. Despite the increase, the pop on the Tiffany is only 30.

Mattingly is still one of the top players for collectors that started in the 1980's This is his top rookie to get so I can see the money chasing it now. I think the one at 4SC sold for at least $1700+ since I don't see it anymore on their site anymore.
    Mike
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not surprising. The card is iconic to many, and presents a relative challenge to the regular Topps. Moreover, the population increase is moot when looking at the total population as compared to the demand. There are far more guys who want one than there are examples, and that's probably the case even if there were 100 of them. Also worth considering is that sometimes a card is so rare it is almost too rare for its own good, and as a few more can circulate and cross collectors' eyes it can actually spur more demand. This may be the case with a few more examples of this card, for Donnie fans to see and chase. I'd lastly imagine that many of the existing few are "permanent" parts of collections, which affects the true available pop. I own two, for example, and even when I have sold some pieces to fund a larger piece, I have always kept two Donnie Tiffany cards in the sacrosanct, or "franchise" pile.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Wow. I'm surprised at these prices for mid 80's anything. I don't follow Mattingly cards but I understand the supply and demand factors. Growing up in NJ and collecting in the 80's I can understand people wanting this card. Does anyone really know how many 1984 Tiffany sets were made? I believe that was the first year for those so my guess is not many. I remember they were higher quality than the regular Topps so that should yeild higher grade cards.
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jsanz
    Wow. I'm surprised at these prices for mid 80's anything. I don't follow Mattingly cards but I understand the supply and demand factors. Growing up in NJ and collecting in the 80's I can understand people wanting this card. Does anyone really know how many 1984 Tiffany sets were made? I believe that was the first year for those so my guess is not many. I remember they were higher quality than the regular Topps so that should yeild higher grade cards.

The print run was 10,000 sets. The main issue is that the box the set was housed in is made of a very flimsy cardboard. If anyone has opened a Tiffany set, the end cards are the ones that are most likely to be damaged. Mattingly is card #8.

The general PSA 10 % of the 1984 Tiffany is around 34%, which is higher than the regular 1984 Topps % of 28%. The Tiffany Mattingly PSA 10 % is 5.7% vs 6.2% for the Topps. However there are 512 PSA 10 Topps and only 30 Tiffanys.

I think most of the 30 reside in permanent collections (like mine). Looking back it was pretty obvious that this card was due for a run.

Mike
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I currently have a nice copy of this issue subbed. Cross your fingers!