Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New addition to the collection - Mantle rookie :)

Waited for (stalked) my FedEx person today to wait around for my wife's early Christmas present and hope she is surprised when she opens her present next month - I think surprised might not be the word she uses image

To be blunt I never thought I would have a chance to pick this card up, but in working through a couple of board members I had a chance to get "the" card in the hobby - a Mantle rookie. The way these cards kept soaring I did not put this card on my wantlist because it was a unicorn IMO. A few scans, a couple of texts, a few sleepless nights, and a couple of transactions later I was able to pull the trigger.

Card showed up today and had been looking at the scans almost daily to see if it is was real, and the best part about it is the card looks as good in person as it did in the scans. The best part about collecting is sharing our cards with others who share the same interests as well as the friendships we make with fellow collectors.

Also, another big thanks to a fellow board member Jeff Foy from Card Country for once again coming though with another amazing card. Two years ago I met Jeff at the Natty and bought a 1968 Mantle for My son, and since then he has found me some incredible cards. Not telling anyone on this board what they don't already know, and everyone that comes into contact with him will tell you the same thing - just a great person who happens to also collect and sell cards. Best in the business and incredible inventory - just leave some other cards for me to buy in the future!

Thank you for looking and hope you enjoy it.

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic looking "3" Congrats!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    BAM! Congrats on a beauty!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Stunner! Think I used to own that card. Of course mine wasn't slabbed and had reprint written on the back! image
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Congrats ! Off the charts eye appeal again. I bet it looks great next to the 53.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a beautiful card. Must be a thrill to own that one.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beauty! Congrats!
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful eye appeal, Keith. That shows much, much better than a 3. Congratulations.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an absolutely immaculate 3. Looks gorgeous.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!

Great pickup...Man, what a card.

Awesome '52! Your search is over!!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    That is a fine looking 3!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Originally posted by: thunderdan

Beautiful eye appeal, Keith. That shows much, much better than a 3. Congratulations.

+1. Monster pickup, congrats!
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Wow, I am envious. Great card!!!
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Oh, that grade is waaaay short....What do you think makes it a 3? Because I still can't see it....Great card!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a fantastic pick-up! That's a great looking Mantle.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Wowzer!! Gorgeous card. Congratulations.
  • Options
    Congrats on a beauty!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little disappointed, I expected to see a 51 Bowman based on the title. Instead I have to look at a FTC (First Topps Card)image Seriously though, that card looks great and is an amazing addition to any collection. Big congratulations!
    Steve
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, that is a stunning 3! If you would have shown it without the flip, I bet 90% would have guessed it as a 5.
  • Options
    I was thinking exactly the same. It should be a 5 or 6 minimum.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KendallCat...high end for the grade Mantle rookie! Inks are strong...and framed exceptionally well to show off those rich hues. Congrats on the Big pickup!

Also...good recovery on the '53 Mantle to replace your 8. That is one gorgeous 5! Is there a stain along top of border accounting for the seemingly low grade?

Why did you sell your 8 in that card? Going for bigger fish? Or exited the hobby at the time and wanted to liquidate?

Monte
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Beautiful looking card. Presents awesome for a 3. Congrats on owning one of the best cards out there.

Marc
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stellar card, KC! The centerpiece of an impressive collection! Congrats!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Wow! So people really do own 52' Mantles. Congrats
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Damn Keith ... that card presents AMAZINGLY well! A card I wish I could own ... For the time the one I use as my Avatar will have to do.

BEST OF LUCK! Enjoy the card. DO you plan to keep the card in the open so you can see it every day?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't get much better than that. That is a gorgeous card! Congrats on snagging a fabulous Mantle!
  • Options
    Wow! That looks ridiculous. Santa really came through for your this year! Congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy looking at that card every 5-10 minutes for the immediate future.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    KC, Most people look at their phones every hour of every day...I would look at that if I was you. Congrats!!! Enjoy it!!!

Belz
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love seeing cards like this posted on the board. Nice job!

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Amazing card - congrats!!
    Daniel
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow you crushed it with that pickup! Congrats!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what you paid for this card but it was a great buy. You don't see PSA 3's look like this. What a wonderful card and smart purchase.

Well done
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Congrats on the pickup, that's a great looking card. I was wondering why it's only a three, it looks better than that but I don't know much about grading on this card.
  • Options
    Good to see you joined the club. Thats a beauty of a card you got. The colors just pop out at you. I got a B variation, and have always wanted to find a A var. partner before the boom.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    beautiful!!!!

congrats on the pickup. I hope to own one some day

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    This is a cl*****ic case of buying the card and not the holder. This card is awesome no matter what the grade is. You did well.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    wow what a rush that must be! congrats!
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls
    KendallCat...high end for the grade Mantle rookie! Inks are strong...and framed exceptionally well to show off those rich hues. Congrats on the Big pickup!
    Also...good recovery on the '53 Mantle to replace your 8. That is one gorgeous 5! Is there a stain along top of border accounting for the seemingly low grade?
    Why did you sell your 8 in that card? Going for bigger fish? Or exited the hobby at the time and wanted to liquidate?

Monte

Thank you for all the nice comments, and did not think this thread would get that much attention. Then again when it is a Mantle rookie I guess it draws a few looks due to the card.

As far as the 53 Mantle it could be some junk on the top of the card, but the centering on the back is not good so I think that is what keeps it lower. Not a huge deal for me, and how many times do you even look at the back?

Sold the 8 on ten advice of one of the big national dealers back in 1999-2000 who said that expensive cards over $5k were getting tough to move with the economy. With the WIWAG deal going on and the card experience going away I got out and sold all my Mantle and Ted Williams - had a ton of high grade Williams cards all PSA 8 or higher and at one point had 10-15% of all PSA 8's from 1954 and 1955. Just got back into collecting again two years ago along with my 10 year old son, and I think I am teaching him well - he does not collect modern cards and wants Mantle's, Aaron's, Mays cards...

Thank you again for the note.

KC

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    Damn Keith ... that card presents AMAZINGLY well! A card I wish I could own ... For the time the one I use as my Avatar will have to do.

BEST OF LUCK! Enjoy the card. DO you plan to keep the card in the open so you can see it every day?

As much as I would like to keep it in the open it will probably stay safe. Nice thing about modern technology is I can look at it daily if I want saved on my computer or my CF page. Just loaded a bunch of Mantle cards on there last week - page is under Conrad's Cards.

KC
  • Options
    Great card, looks much better than a PSA 3