Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Two new Louis XV jetons

Below are a couple recent purchases:

1)

Two months ago I found a lovely jeton on eBay that drew me in. I particularly loved the old oak being windswept by the three "winds" on the reverse. The Latin text on the reverse reads "NON FRANGITUR", which translates as "not broken" -- I presume this piece commemorated the end of the Seven Years' War in 1763. It's in an AU58 PCGS holder.

2)

The second piece I picked up in last week's Heritage weekly world auction. I don't know too much about the design, but I liked the sun and bees. I'm reading through a couple references in French, and one from 1850 describes the token as (translated to English) "In the field, a double personification of the head of state; at the top, the sun, and then, rushing towards him, the queen bees swarm follows her. Thus the king's secretaries were following to execute and transmit his orders." The motto "DUCEM REGEMQUE SEQUUNTUR" translates roughly as "The king follows the leader". I haven't yet determined what historical event or issue of 1731 that this was meant to represent. It's in an AU55 PCGS holder.

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn both have awesome eye appeal. Its great to get the PCGS cert image with them. #2 is especially nice with bees. Similar to the bee Taler I have.
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Both absolutely beautiful pieces!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love designs with trees in them, but those bees are mighty dang cool, too!

I know you saw mine with the cloud chariot. image

These pack an amazing amount of bang for the buck, don't they?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

These pack an amazing amount of bang for the buck, don't they?

+1. A range of interesting/historical topics, generally well executed, usually in nice grade and often modestly priced. What's not to like?

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are stunning. congrat's!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I couldn't resist lining up the Trueview of mine along with your two. They make a lovely trio. image

PS- I would've gotten the original Trueviews on yours from PCGS so they'd display the same size as mine, but I'm getting nothing but CloudFlare errors on the the cert verification page these days. image

PPS- I wish mine was dated like yours are. That's not a big deal- I know mine is circa 1740 or so- but I like actual dates on my coins and exonumia.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood how these were "game counters" as these were struck in silver, many quite beautiful as these, and frankly medallic in appearance.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love all three of them; they are absolutely spectacular. However, if you have ever been (happily) married you will understand-

"The king follows the leader"

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    7jags, I suspect you're right. I think these bigger silver pieces are medals in all but name.

Perhaps it's the earlier, smaller, late medieval pieces like the Krauwinckel jetons that saw service in gaming and on counting boards and such. And the 19th century "Speile Marke" pieces and such like. These were more likely tucked away in cabinets of curiosity in genteel chateaux.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful jetons! Full of history and attractive designs.