Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay Top Rated Plus seller designation

So I might start selling on ebay again, it has been about 11 years since I was on there selling on a regular basis. I saw the Top Rated status gives you 20% of the final value fees back. This sounds good. How easy or difficult is it to get this status? Does ebay really rebate 20% of the fees? Any info would help because paying 9% plus maybe a monthly store fee seems steep.

On a related topic. I use paypal for my real business and they do discount their fees based on sales dollar volume. They told me if you are over $1,000,000 it can get to about 1.9% but you have to negotiate for that.
Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jsanz

So I might start selling on ebay again, it has been about 11 years since I was on there selling on a regular basis. I saw the Top Rated status gives you 20% of the final value fees back. This sounds good. How easy or difficult is it to get this status? Does ebay really rebate 20% of the fees? Any info would help because paying 9% plus maybe a monthly store fee seems steep.

On a related topic. I use paypal for my real business and they do discount their fees based on sales dollar volume. They told me if you are over $1,000,000 it can get to about 1.9% but you have to negotiate for that.

You don't have to have a store to qualify. I've been top-rated+ for a while and never signed up to be a store instead of an individual seller. Yes, they come through on the 20% FVF discount for sure. It isn't hard to keep up with the standards if your personal schedule allows you to ship same day as payment clearing or within 24 hours at the latest. If that does not work into what you can accomplish, you probably won't be able to maintain the level required for the discount.

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Fast shipping is not a problem. When I was a Power Seller years ago I always shipped same or next day. I'm not sure if Power Seller means anything on ebay these days.
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost my power-seller status because I am not listing enough items. I can't seem to find the requirements right now, but when I lost the status, they sent me the reason.

Kind of pi$$ed me off as I jumped through all their other hoops.

Oh well, I will survive.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    It's not overly difficult to maintain - just make sure you monitor it prior to each *****essment - I lost it once and couldn't figure out why - 2 hours on the phone and several steps up the ebay food chain I finally found out why and it was their mistake. BUT the mistake in question had happened 3 months earlier which mean I was not able to appeal it. Had I looked at my dashboard I would have known this was coming and would have had a much easier time getting them to correct their mistake.

Conversation got real ugly and I was reinstated as a top seller a few days later.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I agree..there were a lot of hoops to qualify but very easy to lose it (not meeting one small criteria). Wasn't worth the effort for me....But if your selling a million $ like you asked, I would def investigate...thats a lot in savings

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    To receive top rated you need:

100 orders or $1,000 in sales

90% of orders have tracking uploaded

90% of orders tracking uploaded within stated handling time (eBay forces a 1 day handling time for top rated)

90% tracking scanned by carrier (eBay forces you to have a scan before midnight of the next business day ie paid Thursday needs to show Friday scan by 11:59 or the transaction doesn't qualify)

2% or less transaction defects

14 day return policy (changing to 30 next year)

If you miss any of your handling time windows you lose 1.8% of your gross sales back to eBay.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: dhess
    To receive top rated you need:

100 orders or $1,000 in sales
    90% of orders have tracking uploaded
    90% of orders tracking uploaded within stated handling time (eBay forces a 1 day handling time for top rated)
    90% tracking scanned by carrier (eBay forces you to have a scan before midnight of the next business day ie paid Thursday needs to show Friday scan by 11:59 or the transaction doesn't qualify)
    2% or less transaction defects
    14 day return policy (changing to 30 next year)

If you miss any of your handling time windows you lose 1.8% of your gross sales back to eBay.

Several of these don't matter for Canadian sellers
  • Options
    Sounds onerous, actually pretty straightforward to meet.
  • Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Thanks dhess for making that simple. I wish ebay would do that. I sounds like it is not that difficult to qualify but easy to lose. I know a 20% rebate on fees sounds like a small amount to most sellers but I am sure as the volume goes up that can really add up. I really don't like the return policy requirement. I am sure some sellers have figured out a way to "offer" a return policy but not really ahere to it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jsanz
    Thanks dhess for making that simple. I wish ebay would do that. I sounds like it is not that difficult to qualify but easy to lose. I know a 20% rebate on fees sounds like a small amount to most sellers but I am sure as the volume goes up that can really add up. I really don't like the return policy requirement. I am sure some sellers have figured out a way to "offer" a return policy but not really ahere to it.

Anyone who files "not as described" forces you into a return where you pay returns hipping.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Basically, if you sell enough, standard good service gets you enough to qualify. I have been top rated for a few months now, the extra 20% in fees sounds great, but it really is about a 2% of the overall sale, so not as great as it sounds unless you are selling thousands a month.

As for power seller. I have seen just as many scam artists have the PS designation as good sellers. Means nothing to me
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY