Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one...

$10 Gold Certificate

Whaddya think?

Cheers

Bob

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    The last few that sold in 63Q were: $940, $910, $1,023

I would offer a little less than the asking price and see if you can work a deal with the seller.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking $850. Would that be considered insulting? My research says $950 tops.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    A little steep on the price on that one.

• Options
    $850 would be a steal of a deal! If you can pick it up for the average of what they are currently going for then it's still a win.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Outhaul
    I was thinking $850. Would that be considered insulting? My research says $950 tops.
    Yes, $850 to a quality seller like elite-wireless on an eBay sale would be considered insulting. If I were him, I would not even bother to respond.

There are a few people who will go down and make 10 moronic bids on my notes (which don't have the "make an offer" feature enabled) within a few hours. That's the easiest way for you to get blocked. And elite.wireless is one of roughly 4 dealers who will have a good selection and good prices on eBay.

Making an offer that is sure to be rejected should not be considered "pulling the trigger."
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." Henry David Thoreau
    twitter: @ActionCurrency
    web: www.actioncurrency.com
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I'll have to rethink this. I certainly do not want to insult the guy. I was just thinking that with the average at $950+/- that $850 wouldn't be too much of an underbid (no pun intended).

Cheers

Bob
  • Options
    You have a better shot @ 850 if u can get him to sell it off of ebay (ie with no fee)
  • Options
    if a dealer gets insulted by offers on ebay than they probably shouldn't be selling on ebay. I get stupid offers all the time. All I say is no thank you.

make an offer outside of ebay for $850, all he can say is no.
    Tickle Your Fancy Currency

Collector of DC Nationals (want list in yellow)
  • Options
    hard to pull the trigger when the seller is holding the gun LOL image
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha
    You have a better shot @ 850 if u can get him to sell it off of ebay (ie with no fee)

+1
    This is the voice of experience.

Ebay and Paypal have split and Ebay can no longer rest on its financial tail so now needs to be a profit machine. Any seller can tell you that means their eBay fees recently took a huge jump.

The seller is the one getting gouged... not by your offer, but by Ebay and Paypal
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: underbidder

There are a few people who will go down and make 10 moronic bids on my notes (which don't have the "make an offer" feature enabled) within a few hours. That's the easiest way for you to get blocked.

Making an offer that is sure to be rejected should not be considered "pulling the trigger."

If your notes don't have the "make an offer" option (BIN only?), how do they place these bids/offers?

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Just reaching out to the seller / sending them a message through eBay.
  • Options
    make an offer, BIN... thats all thru ebay

OFF of ebay is how to get the best deal

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit
    The last few that sold in 63Q were: $940, $910, $1,023

I would offer a little less than the asking price and see if you can work a deal with the seller.

yeah, what he said.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha
    make an offer, BIN... thats all thru ebay

OFF of ebay is how to get the best deal

No question about it. As a seller, I add an average of 20% for various fees, ~10% for ebay, 3.5% for paypal and 5% for converting USD to euros at paypal's rates, although I tend to leave them in my paypal account for future purchases.

P*****ing the email address through the system is the tricky part. After a first successfull transaction, things can go smoothly and a buyer might be able to purchase several items at least discounted by the percentages that would have ended up on ebay and/or paypal.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    If notes are selling at Auction for $950 to $1000 you are not going to get it for $850.

Also, this seller (like many dealers) often gets his notes from Auction. In fact, a cursory look shows that this dealer purchased this very note September 2015 from Heritage's Long Beach Sale for $998.75 (includes juice). So, there is no way he will sell it for less than what he paid. [Edit to add: It seems a nice note for the grade.]

I've dealt with this dealer before and he is willing to respond to reasonable offers. And (as has been pointed out) he is one of a small handful of eBay dealers that list notes at a reasonable profit and don't try to gouge people.

If you are looking for a "rip" you are not going to find it here (or likely on eBay). Your best bet may be to set a price limit and bid at Heritage/LF Knight/Stacks Bowers auctions. Fr. 1173s are not scarce by any means.

You may wish to use a representative at auction - particularly since you are new to this. They will inspect the note and let you know any problems or if it is nice/not nice for the grade and if you decide to bid, will bid live for you. The small percentage fee is more than worth it and you'll probably save money.

• Options
    Randy... that definitely puts the 850 discussion to rest on this note!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit
    Just reaching out to the seller / sending them a message through eBay.

FYI, idk if this was the case before, but eBay reps can actually read/see the messages going between users now.

I had a few disputes that I called up to eBay customer service to resolve and they pulled up the conversation between myself and the buyer almost instantly (and just as quickly decided in my favor).
    Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

http://www.wizard1.ca

MAKE DONALD DRUMPF AGAIN! http://tinyurl.com/z5uju34 STOP THE DEVOLUTION OF AMERICA