Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Isabel II, Constitutional Monarch

Vendor described this as bronze, but upon receipt, it actually was bronzed white metal. However, the cost was pretty much on the cheap, so I do not feel violated. Nice portrait of this monarch.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    A neat medal! I almost bid on it as well.

That bust of the young Isabel II was designed by Mariano González Sepúlveda (note the M.G.S. at the trunk of the bust) and was also the initial type for coins of Spain from 1833-1848.

The design is based on her appearance at court as a young girl with a small crown of pearls.

I'm glad to learn of the medal's composition as Isabel II is my primary area of numismatic study.

Harasha, can you confirm that there are no markings on the edge?

Thanks!
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, PatAR. There are no edge markings. I have another Sepulveda medal, the striking Union Augusta medal. Not in great shape, but I like it.

DPOTD
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirming. Sepulveda was also in charge of implementing the new minting machinery at Madrid prior to Isabel's reign and almost certainly oversaw the issuance of these medals. I have not held any of this particular medal in hand and just wanted to confirm they are a Madrid issue (which the plain edge confirms) rather than Paris.

I would like to see that Union August medal if you get a chance to photograph it!

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Union Augusta posted under separate topic.

DPOTD