Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

LKCA - PCDA World Session #1 Result Question

Can anyone explain this?

Mauritius 1930 5 rupees in XF-40

I know there's not a ton of world folks on this forum, but this is a completely insane result. When it came on the block I thought it was a typo.

Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx

Comments

• Options
    it beat the estimate pretty good LOL !
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I take it you did not win it Robert.

Obviously with a low population of 3, there were at least 2 bidders that needed it very badly to complete a set.

I hate it when that happens when I am buying, but selling is OK.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Well, Mauritius notes are favorites with me but not my budget. Can't explain the bid on this particular note. The estimate was a bit low in my opinion but $50,000; plus the buyer premium!! too much for me. It's truly a quandry.

Edit: Oh, I didn't bid either. image wanted to but Christmas is coming.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the infamous "population report." This is so beyond dishonest for Joel or Lyn to write that it just completely blows my mind that they soil their own integrity like that.

I wasn't bidding on this one and these Mauritius notes anyway came up too late for me (about 2:00 am). I have both 5's for KGV and KGVI and had I been able to stay awake for the 10's I probably would have bid for both. The KGV went cheap imho. But both 10 rupee notes before Lyn had the restoration done were real dogs.

Oh well, I guess someone really wanted it - it IS a very nice note in much better condition than they usually show up.
  • Options
    how many of these are known?

and: this one also seemed to have a low reserve

• Options
    I have no idea, but plenty, surely over 50, and they do exist in nice grades. The foreign paper market is still largely un-slabbed - THAT'S why I have an issue with that statement. The "population report" I assume is the PMG pop report, but even if it's PCGS + PMG, it's dishonest because it makes it out like there's only three known and that's flat wrong.

Their own archives reveals 4 unique notes, only one of which was slabbed (this one). Heritage has another one in their archives. A simple google image search revealed a half dozen other serial numbers. There are 6 on eBay right now.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rbethea

The foreign paper market is still largely un-slabbed - THAT'S why I have an issue with that statement. The "population report" I assume is the PMG pop report, but even if it's PCGS + PMG, it's dishonest because it makes it out like there's only three known and that's flat wrong.

+1.

I collect 1915-1940 Latvia in depth and see this practice all the time. In this case there's several types that were never issued but survived in high grade in large quantities (1937-40 Ls 10, 1938 Ls 25, 1935-6 Ls 20) but few have been slabbed. Using pop reports are technically accurate, I suppose, but terribly misleading and paint an incomplete, deceptive picture. But such is the world of plastic at times.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    BTW, it appears that all 8 Latvian lots sold, but most at the start bid of 60% of low estimate. Are these actual sales or does this reflect unsold lots with correction to the data base later?
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: rbethea

I have no idea, but plenty, surely over 50, and they do exist in nice grades. The foreign paper market is still largely un-slabbed - THAT'S why I have an issue with that statement. The "population report" I assume is the PMG pop report, but even if it's PCGS + PMG, it's dishonest because it makes it out like there's only three known and that's flat wrong.

Their own archives reveals 4 unique notes, only one of which was slabbed (this one). Heritage has another one in their archives. A simple google image search revealed a half dozen other serial numbers. There are 6 on eBay right now.

I've always viewed the population reports with TWO grains of salt.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Originally posted by: STLNATS
    BTW, it appears that all 8 Latvian lots sold, but most at the start bid of 60% of low estimate. Are these actual sales or does this reflect unsold lots with correction to the data base later?

Yeah, I believe all those lots sold for those prices (which is without the BP of...15%?).
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    What shocks me is NOT that one person would pay an insane amount for this note.

BUT that there was an underbidder that forced them to. I would love to know where

today's resell level is (underbidder to the underbidder)?