Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Semi-OT: not a coin, but ancient

My sister's into beads and jewelry making, and also likes ancient stuff, so I bought her this little amulet from Ancient Imports, on the VCoins site. I think she'll like it, and she can incorporate it into a necklace or something. Though it isn't a coin, I thought I'd share it, since ancient artifacts can also be fun to look at.

Ancient Egypt Faience Lion Amulet / To Guard and Defend

Attribution: Petrie 219g

Date: XXVII Dynasty 525-404 BC

Size: 14.24 mm

Weight: 0.37 grams

Description: The lion amulet was meant to guard and defend.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool. You know Zurqieh sells a lot of beads and amulets as well as ushtabi and stuff on eBay. I buy coins from him often and am very happy with him. I really would like to get some of the ushtabi for myself because they are like little miniature sarcophagi in blue faience. A little too expensive though for just impulse buying. But every time I look at them, I am more tempted.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OFF TOPIC! image
  • Options
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: nicholasz219
    That's pretty cool. You know Zurqieh sells a lot of beads and amulets as well as ushtabi and stuff on eBay. I buy coins from him often and am very happy with him. I really would like to get some of the ushtabi for myself because they are like little miniature sarcophagi in blue faience. A little too expensive though for just impulse buying. But every time I look at them, I am more tempted.

The Ushabti are pretty neat and reasonably priced for what they are. I've bought a few in the past, still have a couple. It's tough to find ones with nice eye appeal. Often they are pretty ugly/faceless.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland
    OFF TOPIC! image

Calm down!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    That's cool. I'm sure she'll like it. 2500 years old as well!
  • Options
    Show me more OT different ancient stuff! Ancient bottles or jewelry or anything.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Icollecteverything
    Show me more OT different ancient stuff! Ancient bottles or jewelry or anything.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Here's a small ushabti statue I own. About 2 1/2" tall.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always thought those ushabtis were neat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Pokermandude: That is pretty cool. I do not know if I will take the dive into those, but I am very tempted. I think if I can buy one for $60-100 that is as good as shape as yours, then I might have to. I think that they are fascinating. Little miniatures of the deceased to perform the work for Osiris, in the place of the deceased, in the afterlife.

I will try to send an ushabti to work for me and see how that plays out.