Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GERMANY. Hamburg. Bronze St. Peter's Church, 1849, 44.1 mm. HM&M-P324, by Wilkens

Hi Gang, I've been using a Sigma 180mm lens and a Canon SL1 to take my photos and finally ran into a problem when I started gaining interest in medals -- they were too big to fit into the frame!! So I bought a nice, barely used 100mm Canon L lens and wow, am I impressed with it's picture quality and ease of use.

While nothing earth shattering, this is the first image I've been able to take of this medal so I thought I'd share them with you (lens came in today, and I had to take 30mins off of what I was doing to take my first couple shots). Hope you enjoy image

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Love it.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great medal, and superb images.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful medal (and images)!
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooo. A Canon L lens!!!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done! Great pics and a great lens too... been using it for just about all of my pics for the last two years or so image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. You can get lost in the detail of these cathedral medals.

Looks good on you as an avatar, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice! but,but,but it's the wrong date! image
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

Very Nice! but,but,but it's the wrong date! image

It's part of the Numismatic Curiosities collection I'm working on with my son...so good catch image

lordmacovan, I hear you on the detail, I can just sit there and look at it and look at it...it's like an M.C. Escher image
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splendid! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mercurydimeguy

lordmacovan, I hear you on the detail, I can just sit there and look at it and look at it...it's like an M.C. Escher image

M.C. Escher is probably one of my favorite graphic artists of all time. I used to have a large print of his "Three Worlds" hanging in my living room.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

M.C. Escher is probably one of my favorite graphic artists of all time. I used to have a large print of his "Three Worlds" hanging in my living room.

My college dorm room was covered with at least 3 (as I recall) of his works, so subliminally I think I'm drawn to medals that look like this...I have another one coming in the mail I won in an Italian auction.

• Options
    PCGS graded this one (wasn't sure they would)...SP64 image

It's a nice addition to my Numismatic Curiosities showcase. Just closing the loop on this...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS graded this one (wasn't sure they would)...SP64 image

It's a nice addition to my Numismatic Curiosities showcase. Just closing the loop on this...

awesome
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Are you still happy with your camera and lens setup? I got a refurbished SL1 w/18-55mm STM lens last Black Friday for $260 -- still learning its capabilities.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jgenn

Congratulations! Are you still happy with your camera and lens setup? I got a refurbished SL1 w/18-55mm STM lens last Black Friday for $260 -- still learning its capabilities.

Grow more happier every week image

Invest in a new lens, that's my recommendation to you. A Canon or Sigma dedicated macro lens at least 100mm in focal length and you'll be in nirvana.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Hi Gang, I've been using a Sigma 180mm lens and a Canon SL1 to take my photos and finally ran into a problem when I started gaining interest in medals -- they were too big to fit into the frame!! So I bought a nice, barely used 100mm Canon L lens and wow, am I impressed with it's picture quality and ease of use.

While nothing earth shattering, this is the first image I've been able to take of this medal so I thought I'd share them with you (lens came in today, and I had to take 30mins off of what I was doing to take my first couple shots). Hope you enjoy image

That's funny, it doesn't even come close to a mercury dime!image

Paul