Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Stolen note- keep an eye out

It's a long shot as this is a common note, but this note was stolen from me.

1899 $1 Black Eagle PCGS 53PPQ Y59882546Y

I sold it on ebay, shipped it, and although tracking shows delivered, the buyer claims he never got it. I did not use signature confirmation, as my personal threshold for using signature is $400 and this note was $349.

I refunded his money. One of two things happened- either the postman put it in the wrong person's box and a random person got a free black eagle, or the buyer has both the note and the money. Either way I didn't fight it because ultimately it would just lead to headache, accusations, and a negative feedback for me.

That being said, the note is mine and is floating around out there somewhere. Please keep an eye out and add it to stolen note lists that you know of.

Thanks,

Ty

Buying Athens, GA nationals and obsoletes, for my personal collection
Buying most large and small type notes and some nationals for inventory

Comments

• Ty, have taken picture and will put serial number on my lookout list. Unfortunately the

person who has it will either try to sell it quickly and/or will remove it from the holder.

Whatever the case I would definitely report it to the Postal Inspectors, they have some

very unique ways of finding "lost" mail.

Good luck.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• It seems like this could have been handled by ebay Ty. If you let the other gentleman file a claim. You have proof it was delivered, you have perfect feedback and sell all the time without issue, I think they would have just refunded the gentlemen's payment out of their own pocket.

not that you can do anything about it now, but for future reference.
    Tickle Your Fancy Currency

Collector of DC Nationals (want list in yellow)
  • dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Sorry of the loss.

That is why I ship everything insured for $200 even if it is for less...they have to sign for it. The insurance is included in the S/H fees.
  • Ty

My understanding is that paypal moved the signature requirement from $250 to $750 so you should still be still covered under their so called "seller protection".

eBay - never mind the seller who pays us is our true client, they are evil greedy capitalist who deserve to lose their products and their money!

AJ
    In 30+ years I have done nothing positive for the hobby because I'm lazy!

--------

Collector of paper money since 1985.

California & Nevada National Bank "Guru" per Peter Huntoon

ANA Intern 1990.

Former member Board of Governors of SPMC.

Life member SPMC 126

Life member ANA 4592

IBNS, FUN, CSNA, NASC, CSNS, etc

• TCCUGATCCUGA Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Thanks for responding.

A couple things in response:

-The PCGS holder is irrelevant. Even if they remove from the holder, the note still has its serial number. That's what needs to be taken note of.

-Re:insurance. I self-insure (which is a euphemism for non-insure). I have sold tens of thousands of items in my career, with a 99.99+% success rate. If I insured them all, it would have cost me say $40,000 in insurance fees, or probably a whole lot more. This was $349. By that math, I'm ahead of the game.

-Ebay would not have paid the guy (or me) anything. Tracking shows delivered. And when ebay "pays" someone, its not ebay's money. They rule in favor of one party over the other, and just force a reversal of the original payment from buyer to seller if necessary.

-Correct that signature is only required on $750 or more (used to be $250). I would have won this case after a fight, most likely. Call me crazy but I just went ahead and took him at his word and paid him just to pick my battles and avoid the inevitable negative feedback. Who knows if ebay would have helped me remove that one or not.

I will add that this buyer is a repeat customer who has purchased over 10 notes from me over the last 2 years without issue. Maybe that's why I felt "extra" generous in this case and just let it slide. Maybe I'm too nice.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that this serial number Black Eagle floating out there belongs to me. Doubtful it'll ever turn up.

Thanks for reading,

Ty

Buying Athens, GA nationals and obsoletes, for my personal collection
    Buying most large and small type notes and some nationals for inventory
  • -Re:insurance. I self-insure (which is a euphemism for non-insure). I have sold tens of thousands of items in my career, with a 99.99+% success rate. If I insured them all, it would have cost me say $40,000 in insurance fees, or probably a whole lot more. This was $349. By that math, I'm ahead of the game.

I agree with you on the insurance. It's way too expensive to buy insurance on every note you send out. While it is a risk that something will happen and you will be out the money, the odds are much more in your favor that nothing will happen and the note will arrive just fine. Over time the savings of not insuring every note (assuming you send many) will likely pay for itself many times over and even if you have one or two turn up missing it's still much cheaper to pay those out. Now once you reach the $500 value it probably is a good idea to consider insurance. But for notes less than $500 I usually take the risk.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, sorry to hear! Being a repeat customer, at least you know the chances are good that they are not the culprit. I have received tracking that shows a note was delivered, but then it does not arrive for a couple more days. Here's to hoping, as slim as the chance might be, that it will somehow still make it to the customer or back to you.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will keep an open eye for it
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Feel for your loss, Ty

it happened to me also, same story.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Ty, I would go ahead and report it to the numismatic crimes site.

Numismatic Crimes link
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired