Home U.S. Coin Forum

USPS Mailing Question?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
When the postal clerk asks you “Does this parcel contain anything fragile, liquid, perishable, or potentially hazardous, including lithium batteries and perfume?”

Do you state your mailing something fragile image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019 1:02PM
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    No. Not when I'm mailing regular coins.

Now, when I'm mailing a good bit of bullion, I always say, "potentially hazardous......especially if you drop it on your foot."
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said it for the first time yesterday and the clerk annihilated the parcel with the red inked fragile stamp.

There was no insurance up-charge.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fragile? Never. If properly packaged coins, slabs, other holders are not fragile. When shipping Waterford Crystal toasting flutes? Yeah, fragile. Here's to ya!

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. The way I see it, it's merely an advisory to the delivering carrier to make it look like it has been treated well in delivery, and is no guarantee it won't be mishandled by a Postal Oaf.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. When I am shipping coins they are always packed carefully and placed inside a box prior to shipping.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Originally posted by: VanHalen

Fragile? Never. If properly packaged coins, slabs, other holders are not fragile. When shipping Waterford Crystal toasting flutes? Yeah, fragile. Here's to ya!

I beg to differ image

As when I hand a newp to another collector at a show and the slab is accidentally dropped on the concrete floor my heart jumps higher then if it was any sort of Waterford Crystal image

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the USPS actually treat a packaged marked 'Fragile' with any greater care? I haven't seen any evidence of that; the last one I received as such looked like it was run over by a forklift.

My personal feeling is that the less said to the postal clerk the better.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    I ordered some "Moxie" soda online a few months ago and it was shipped in a Medium Flat Rate Priority box. I got the little key and tag out of my PO box and opened the lock box. The box literally, again literally!, looked like it had fallen off a building and got ran over in the street. The entire box was stamped with that bright red "FRAGILE" all over it. The bottom and two sides of the box was brown and dripping wet from one of the bottles busting in transit.

Evidently "fragile" is Italian for "cast iron anvil, don't worry about it".

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If shipping in a bubble mailer - yes. There is no extra charge and they stamp "fragile" on it. I once had a slab broken in half (no damage to coin) by USPS. This was a number of years ago and it was inside a large envelope in a safty mailer (like Teletrade used to ship). The customer returned it and his money refunded. I could not believe it - what kind of force would break a PCGS slab completly in half? A modern PF set sent in a bubble mailer was broken recently so these probably should go in a box. I do suspect the customer.....

I like the way Apmex ships material - bubble mailer in a box. I can find the bubble mailers in that size but have not been able to get an exact match on the that size box. Please let me know if where to find that box - PM ok. I think way they do it seems like best way to go. USPS will find a way to break just about anything......I wish I knew what in their process results in their breaking stuff that appears adequately packaged.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinRaritiesOnline

Does the USPS actually treat a packaged marked 'Fragile' with any greater care? I haven't seen any evidence of that; the last one I received as such looked like it was run over by a forklift.

It can't hurt, but I doubt it helps much. I don't know if it would help one's case in the event of a claim tho.
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

This CoinRaritiesOnline guy -- he's one smart fella.

I agree 100%.

You don't want it to stand out in any way.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
    Originally posted by: DaveWcoins

This CoinRaritiesOnline guy -- he's one smart fella.

I agree 100%.

You don't want it to stand out in any way.

Makes a lot of sense... I won't do it again image

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

• LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    I would not mail anything fragile. The fragile markings might or might not make a difference to the human handlers but the machines don't care.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just shake my head no.

Less said is best, with garlic breath.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a general rule, the postage clerks in my area don't speak English. So I just answer all their questions with either si or huh? It works.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, the boxes marked "Fragile" are typically the most beat up upon arrival. I would not say anything.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I generally ship slabbed coins in a free Priority Mail box and wrap them with bubble wrap. If there is still room in the box, I stuff it with crumpled newsprint.
    Unslabbed coins generally go in a bubble mailer, in a flip protected by cardboard.
    Never had a problem with damaged coins.
    I avoid saying anything about the contents to the Post Office clerk.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Stuff people like us that ship USPS don't have liability stuff in the box. I never put PERFUME in with my coins, do you????
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Blue box never ask's me anything.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file