Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Diving into Modern again; Bowman Chrome?

Three are way too many choices, but my son and I have decided on 2015 Bowman Chrome; and maybe some Topps Finest.

Couple questions for those Modern experts.

1.) Jumbo or Hobby cases; and why?

2.) We will probably make a few sets, keep all the Giants, then be willing to part with the rest. Is there a demand for these extras? I'm certainly not doing this as an investment, but might want to unload the dups after we're all done sorting.

3.) Anyone recommend a different brand?

Thanks
Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
Prefer to buy in bulk.

Comments

• Options
    Most modern collectors live by the chrome is king mantra, but IMHO Bowman Chrome has taken a serious dive in the last 10 years...at least from a breaking prespective. There are far too many autographs on the checklist and decent colored parallels are few and far between due to them cranking up the presses. I would just spend the dough for players like Bryant, Correa, Machado, etc.

If I were to break modern product it would be Finest, Topps Chrome and Heritage. They seem to be best bang for your buck. Right now Heritage High Number seems like a rad product. Solid rookie class, chrome and refractor parallels and a chance to hit some nice autos.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Halonut

Most modern collectors live by the chrome is king mantra, but IMHO Bowman Chrome has taken a serious dive in the last 10 years...at least from a breaking prespective. There are far too many autographs on the checklist and decent colored parallels are few and far between due to them cranking up the presses. I would just spend the dough for players like Bryant, Correa, Machado, etc.

If I were to break modern product it would be Finest, Topps Chrome and Heritage. They seem to be best bang for your buck. Right now Heritage High Number seems like a rad product. Solid rookie class, chrome and refractor parallels and a chance to hit some nice autos.

Thank You. We're taking a serious look at Topps Chrome; but can't find Topps Chrome Update for sale? We usually buy the update series and the basic set series at the same time. I see cards for 2015 Chrome updates for sale, but no boxes?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Sdub, update chrome is retail only and you can get them two packs at a time (along with 5 packs of regular update) in the mega boxes for $14.99. No full boxes.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Bowman Draft typically has the first autograph that everyone wants. Bowman Chrome typically isn't as popular as Draft (the exception is 2014 Chrome that had Kris Bryant Color Autos). If you don't care as much about the autos and just want cards for a base set, I'd just do Hobby. Typically the Jumbo cases carry a premium on a per autograph basis.