Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox off season chatter

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
2015 offseason preview: Boston Red Sox

David Schoenfield, SweetSpot blogger

After going from 97 wins and a World Series title in 2013 to 91 losses in 2014, the Boston Red Sox reconfigured the roster for 2015 with two big free-agent signings in Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval and a rotation built around trade acquisitions Rick Porcello and Wade Miley. It didn't work. Ramirez was a disaster in left field; Sandoval was just a disaster, period. They were two of the least valuable players in the league, combining for a minus-2.2 WAR. The rotation and bullpen were both bad. So despite strong showings from youngsters Mookie Betts and Xander Bogaerts, the Red Sox finished 78-84 for their third losing season in the past four years.

Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval did not deliver for the Red Sox in 2015.

What do they need: Pitching. The rotation ranked 13th in the AL in ERA and the bullpen ranked ... 13th. There are plenty of options already in-house for the rotation: Porcello (who did pitch better in his final eight starts after a DL stint), Miley, Clay Buchholz, Joe Kelly, Eduardo Rodriguez, Brian Johnson and Henry Owens. Speculation, however, is the Red Sox will be heavy bidders for David Price or Zack Greinke to bring in an ace.

Guy on the rise: Betts got off to a slow start, hitting .233 through May 24, but then the line drives started falling -- in gaps and over fences. He finished at .291/.341/.479 with 18 home runs, 42 doubles, eight triples, 21 steals, above-average defense and was quietly one of the best players in the league. He ranked seventh among AL position players in Baseball-Reference WAR and 10th in FanGraphs WAR. And no, the Red Sox aren't going to trade him.

Prospect to anticipate: We're getting a little ahead of ourselves, but big-money Cuban Yoan Moncada had a strong debut in low-A ball, hitting .278/.380/.438 with eight home runs in 81 games and 49 steals in 52 attempts. The 20-year-old switch-hitter played second base and his defense is a work in progress -- he made 23 errors -- but he showcased the skills that led the Red Sox to committing $63 million to get him. There's no need to rush him, and with Dustin Pedroia and Bogaerts locked in at second and short, Moncada's name will pop up in trade rumors.

Winter action plan: The Red Sox have already talked with Ramirez about a move to first base, clearing the way for a Betts-Jackie Bradley Jr.-Rusney Castillo outfield. The ageless David Ortiz is coming off a 37-homer season and the infield appears set, assuming the Sox can't find a taker for Ramirez or Sandoval. Blake Swihart showed promise as a rookie behind the plate, and Christian Vazquez will attempt to rebound from his Tommy John surgery to share time. So it's all about finding arms, either through free agency or trades. Price may be the top target, and Darren O'Day is a logical bullpen fit, but they'll pursue multiple options.

Bradley's name is still popping up in trade rumors, and with Betts being a good center fielder, the Red Sox could sell high on Bradley's hot final two months. That would leave a hole in left field, however, as Bryce Brentz is the only other outfielder on the 40-man roster. The Red Sox have a loaded farm system, and they also have all those back-end starters that they could include in trades as well. You can bet you'll hear Red Sox-Mets trade ideas all winter. Keep in mind that new president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski has a history from his Tigers days of trading away prospects, so it could be a simple offseason or one that features a flurry of activity.[/]

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read NESN's "analysis" of the Kimbrell trade (written by Ricky Doyle). You can read it here: Text

The author uses phrases such as Kimbrel being "lights out" since 2010 and "continues his dominance" to pump up how great a trade this was. Makes me think that anyone with half a brain would be overqualified to be a sports writer.

I'm just not too excited about a guy who just posted his highest ever ERA, lowest career WAR for a full season, highest ever HR/9 innings, etc. He played in pitcher friendly PETCO and had his worst season ever. Can't get excited until he decides to be the pitcher he used to be. Maybe he will regress (progress?) toward his mean. Until then, I see it as a minor trade
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to do another cleans like they did with Becket, Agon and Crawford.
  • Options
    The Dombrowski era begins...

Craig Kimbrel incoming from San Diego...outgoing...4 Red Sox Prospects. Red Sox eat $25m of his salary...
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of giving up those four prospects for a closer and I don't care how dominant the closer is.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papi go bye bye.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Yup, Ortiz makes it official...at the end of 2016, no mas.

No news on the Walrus. I suspect Dombrowski is trying to deal the "elephant in the room" (pun intended) to somebody. Incredibly, the Red Sox still owe this DOOFUS a mind numbing $59 mil. Thanks Ben.
  • Options
    Keith Law, ESPN Insider...

If you're a Boston Red Sox fan, this is exactly the trade you feared Dave Dombrowski would make when he joined the front office, trading away the jewels of the majors' best farm system for veterans who are or may be past their peak values. Craig Kimbrel has been one of the best relievers in baseball history, but this is a big overpay for 60 innings of his services a season when he already seems to be starting to decline.

And so it goes.

BTW, have you Red Sox Nation guys seen current pics of Fenway Park? Well, its been turned into a football field, with Notre Dame emblazoned in one end zone and Fighting Irish in the other. This because, for some reason the "shamrock series" is being played there and Notre Dame is the home team. Sadly, I think Boston College is gonna get whacked big time in this game. Kinda weird to see Fenway this way.
  • Options
    Sox reportedly sign OF Chris Young.

Fourth outfielder or prelude to a trade of one of the young stars for a pitcher or two? I'd love to see something in the works with the A's
  • Options
    David Price to Sox for $31 million average annual salary for seven years.

Maybe they are serious?
  • Options
    includes a three year opt out too. Amazing that such a clause is in there. Will the money be even better after three years? Wow.
  • Options
    Wow that's a lot of coin.

Puts him #2 on the list behind Kershaw.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    Originally posted by: sparky64

I think it puts him above Kershaw!

• Options
    Originally posted by: Barndog

I stand corrected. Yes it does put him on top.

• Options
    Assuming Price gets 25 starts, that's a mind-warping $1,240,000 PER GAME. Factor in that he's gonna get yanked by the 6th inning+/-, that is just sick. The per-pitch $$ is beyond insane.

Nobody on this planet is worth that kind of money to throw a baseball.

I suspect tix prices will rise slightly as will concession items, parking and all the other crap they gouge us for at Fenway.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give the Sox credit for trying to get out of the basement but that contract is gonna hurt them in the long run.
    Daniel
  • Options
    I give the Sox credit for trying to get out of the basement but that contract is gonna hurt them in the long run.

Yup, and they're still stuck with "BO and ZO", the BOZO boys of HanRam and the pathetic Walrus (aka Pablo muy gordo Sandoval) at 3rd base. I suspect Dombrowski is trying to dump the Walrus, but who knows how much the Red Sox wanna eat to ship him out. Maybe he's shopping HanRam too, time will tell. Thanks Ben...you doofus!!

Baseball is so backasswards, paying for an unknown future performance. How about give the dude a salary of say $10m, then have all these incentives kick in at the end of the season. Of course I realize it's tough times to get by on a paltry $10m for playing a kids game 6 months a year... but this salary thing is beyond insanity...and we, the fans get it in the neck year after year after year with rising prices.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok remind me why they didn't sign Lester last year?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price will anchor the staff but the rest of the staff stinks
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until Greinke signs. Speculation the Dodgers offered him 210 million/ six years.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Darin

Until Greinke signs. Speculation the Dodgers offered him 210 million/ six years.

Dodgers lowballed him (relative term there, since I would have taken a fraction of what the Dodgers offered him). Average annual value from Diamondbacks will be $34M and change. Price still has richest total value, but Greinke gets the prize for average value
  • Options
    starting rotation shaping up:

Sox traded starter Wade Miley and minor league pitcher Jonathan Aro to the Seattle Mariners. Boston acquired reliever Carson Smith and starter Roenis Elias

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Carson Smith has a power arm. He could be a much needed reliever I guess. I know nothing about him though.
  • Options
    Sox are looking at a mix of Smith, Uehara, and Kimbrel to finish games. Let's add a power lefty now too!
  • Options
    We'll see how the Dombrowski moves work out...so far, so good.

I'm waiting to see what the jury brings in on the Walrus and HanRam. No doubt there are things working, but I think they're gonna be hard sell to anyone, given last years paltry performance by both. AGAIN this is what you get when you pay for a future performance, with guaranteed money and the clowns you give it to just kinda go through the motions. I think HanRam at first base will be a disaster.

Hey Steve (pitboss), what's with the geppeto avatar? Man, you gotta step that up a bit !!
  • Options
    I'm an old man now. Will be 76 on Sunday. Will change it back to Red Sox when you get the thread going.
  • Options
    Happy B-day!!

You go ahead and start the thread.

My New Year's Resolution is to try to find the bright side in the Red Sox game performance. Who knows, I might even pop for the bb package this year.

I still think Orsillo got screwed, but, I hope we have lots of Eck to enjoy.
  • Options
    You think that maybe I can make them winners if I start the thread? I hope you are right and will start it right after the new year, 2016 is our year guy. I can feel it.