Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Italy: gold 20-lire of Umberto I, 1882-R, raw BU (MS62-ish, prooflike)

Now gone to eBay true auction- 99c start- no reserve- free shipping.

Just click the "eBay" link in my sig line below. Thanks!

Italy: gold 20-lire of Umberto I, 1882-R

KM21, .900 gold/.1867 oz. Ex-Thomas Pollandt, Münzen am Zoo Berlin, 4/23/2015.

The Krause/NGC/Numismaster priceguide trends this coin for $500 in VF20, $600 in XF40, and $700 in MS60.

The German seller described it as a "USA MS62" grade, and I tend to agree with that assessment. It is a BU coin but likely in the lower tier of the MS spectrum technically.

However, the delightful surprise was discovering how amazingly prooflike it is in hand, with flashy mirrors and a touch of frosty contrast. The pictures here only show a tiny hint of that.

PS- I tried (and pretty much failed) to capture some of the prooflike contrast myself. The coin still came out a bit flat looking. In the photo below some of the contrast shows a bit, but the mirrors do not.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's tempting.

That is .1867 oz of gold you might note LM

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Swampboy

That's tempting.

That is .1867 oz of gold you might note LM

Whoops. Decimal place typo. Thanks, Gil! imageimage

That extra zero to the right of the decimal must have crept in from my bank balance. image

Corrected. Yes, it is 0.1867, not .01867.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Here's some other (cheaper) stuff.

(11/11: two pieces marked sold; another couple reduced slightly.)

Bermuda "Triangle" dollar (impaired silver proof), 1998.

KM104a, .925 silver/.5948 oz. A bit scuffy, apparently from being removed from its original packaging. Rescued from a bulk silver lot just because it was cool looking. Interesting toning with hints of lavender. Queen Lizzie's portrait still has some Cameo contrast. A proof catalogs $50.00 on the NGC/Krause priceguide, but you may have this one for... uhhh... $15? ***SOLD***

Late-medieval Ireland: hammered silver "Harp groat" of Henry VIII of England (1509-1547).

Admittedly, I do not have a full attribution on this Henry VIII coin yet, nor any real idea of its value (or lack thereof). I'll post a thread on the World Coin forum for assistance, since I'm separated from my Spink Ireland/Scotland book at the moment. This coin has Henry's "H" initial to the left of the harp and a "K" for one of his five wives, which indicates one of the three Catherines (Katherines) he married. I'm guessing maybe Katherine of Aragon, his first and longest marriage partner (m. 1509, annulled 1533). There is some raggedness to the edge of the flan and a small hole. Some green deposits appear to me to be natural verdigris rather than PVC. Still a neat piece of history. It is approximately the diameter of a US quarter, give or take. Until I get more information, I'll pull a number out of thin air and ask $49? ***SOLD***

Larger obverse picture

Larger reverse picture

Isle of Man proof crown (Royal wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson), 1986.

KM174, copper-nickel, 38.5 mm. Nice cameo contrast. Plastic holder. Looks a tiny bit hazy in the photos, but not so much in hand. $8.

Philippines (US sovereignty) silver peso, 1907-S.

An attractive circ with no distractions. I'd call it VF. Struck at San Francisco. KM172, .800 silver/.5144 oz. $18.

USA: repoussé "popout" on 1900 Barber dime.

Some moderate wear which I thinks gives this piece character. Slightly domed or "Pringled" appearance (a word I just invented because the flan here is approximately the shape of a Pringles potato chip). Possibly was mounted on a ring back in the day. $26.

The gold Umberto is now on eBay with a 99c start.

Italian gold piece ending tonight. Still under my cost (and under $300) as I type this.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you did well. Ebay has become a tough place to sell.
    Lost money on both that and the 3cN I had up for sale. Oh well.