Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Trick or Treat!

I did this last year, and it was a success, so we decided to do it again this year. I made team bags of cards to give away to the trick or treaters. This year packs were about 25 cards each, with roughly 10 1989 Donruss or 1990 Score, 10 from this year or last year, various issues, and 5 random cards.

I had planned to make 100 bags, but I ran out of team bags at 87 when I was making them and thought I had another pack of them in case we ran out, but didn't. Honestly I didn't think we'd give away that many. Here's the loot we started with--there are 50 bags in the bowl. image

Here's a picture of one of our early visitors. The guy with the bowls is my buddy, who helped while our wives took the kids around. image

We had the kids choose cards or candy, and they like having to make a choice. Blake Bortles there chose wisely after some serious deliberation. We gave away all 87 bags I made (and all of the candy) and were shut down by 8:45. We could have easily given away 100, maybe 125, because we ran out on the early side and gave away just candy for the last half hour. I can still hear kids going around, so maybe even more.

It was a hit, and we'll be doing it again next year. I'll probably make 150 and see how many go. I highly recommend it. Many of the kids were genuinely excited to get the cards. Hopefully some of them will find a hobby they enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea and thanks for sharing. Might have to do it as well next year. Of course you might have some dad's showing up at your house next year...
  • Options
    What am awesome idea!
  • Options
    I thought I was the only one who did that. I'll get a few cheap boxes and hand out packs with the candy. The first year I ran into some kids who didn't collect so I started buying some small toys and I let the kids pick. Usually they pick more toys,but this year it was pretty even. Then I'll just take what's left to the local children's hospital. They seem to enjoy it and that's all that matters.
    I really like serious people.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do this with my little league and all star teams I coach, and we give out game balls and packs of cards. Gotten to the point where kids tell us to not give them game balls because they want cards.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard Obama gave away MLB cards at the White House this year.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Such a great idea. I'm glad it was a success. Maybe they can carry on the hobby and spend big money on Mantles later in life.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I spy un-mulched beds in your landscape. Time to get crackin!
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    the lawnmowerman strikes again.

Nothing escapes the eye of....(music crescendos)....the lawnmowerman...da da daaaa......

....or else you get an HOA letter.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    graygator....awesome idea...way to promote the hobby....would have loved to get one of those...maybe back for a couple more....vs bags of leftover "cheap, bulk" candy

thanks for the writeup
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    The mulch lobby can't fool me with their pseudo-science. Besides, every bag of mulch I put down is a pack of cards I can't buy!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: graygator

We had the kids choose cards or candy, and they like having to make a choice.

Did any girls choose cards over candy?

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, quite a few actually. And seemed happy to have them. For a lot of the kids I think it was just fun to get something different.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your house would have been my favorite as a kid. My favorite houses were the ones that gave away change. The change was upgraded from shiny cheap metal to cardboard the next day at the convenience store I could walk to.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Great idea.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a Great Idea!
    Awesome!
    Be Safe!