Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

anyone familiar with this medal

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
please excuse the poor typing, after shoulder surgery I'm using one hand.

do you knowabout this medal scarce? I would like to get one for our school libriasn..

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem to be scarce.....Seeing quite a few under $20

John Larkin Soap Company with a picture of his factory on the reverse.....Bronze by Whitehead Hoag

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one that's available now:

imageimage
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was designed by Julio Kilenyi, on the left below with Harry S. Truman and William Hyman.

Bio from Florida State University

Julio Kilenyi was an artist specializing in relief scuptures, medals and plaques. He was born in Arad, Hungary, and educated in Budapest, Paris, and Berlin. In 1907 he traveled to Argentina and remained there for nine years before settling in New York in 1916, possibly at the urging of the New York medal collector Julius de Lagerburg. In 1924 he became a naturalized citizen of the United States.

His works included numerous commemorative items for societies, companies, and local goverment in New York as well as those recognizing events of national or international significance, such as presidential inaugurations and the first transatlantic flight. He did work for for the Medallic Art Company and L. G. Balfour, for the latter of which he served as art director from 1949–1955.

His professional memberships included the American Numismatic Association and the National Sculpture Society. He also belonged to the Bruckner Society of America, holding at the time of his death the posts of Executive Member, Director, and Vice-President. In 1933 and 1935 he designed medals of Bruckner and Mahler, respectively, for the exclusive use of the society.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are fairly common, especially in our area Ajaan. They have 2 sizes, 28mm and 78mm. I have one of the 78mm ones in my case, if it doesn't sell at the Erie show tomorrow, I will have it with me in 2 weeks at the BNA
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file