Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How to know if Sheet Cut?

Hi, I have this LT rookie bgs 9.5, and was thinking of cracking out and subbing to PSA. Anyone what to look for?

[URL=http://s653.photobucket.com/user/shu4040/media/lt1_zpsv1k6nhwa.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s653.photobucket.com/user/shu4040/media/lt2_zpsbeymy71i.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    With the hockey issues I can tell pretty much right off the bat by looking at the card, but I'm not sure here. Generally with the Beckett cards a good sign is if the surface is one of the lowest subgrades, as is the Taylor pictured.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mullins. The more I look at the more I'm not sure!

Anyone else have any tips?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The edges are the best places to scrutinize~a sheet cut card will have a different look from one that was cut in the factory during the year of issue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Usually sheet cut cards that end up in Beckett holders will run slightly larger than the normal 2.5"x 3.5" card size.

So the first thing I would do is measure the card. Then, as Grote15 pointed out, check out the edges. They will be cut very clean.

Once you can pick out a sheet cut card and know what to look for, you'll always be able to spot them.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears oversized w/too much border all the way around. Check out the Lott in BST for comparison.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, going to pull a normal 82 tonight and try and compare edges.

Just took a look at that Lott, and the lott appears a little taller up top, but could be offset by LT appearing a little long in the bottom. definitely a good comparison though, not making me optimistic