Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'm done with ESPN. What site now for sports news, standings, etc?

I am just done with ESPN now that they've axed Grantland. What's your go-to non-ESPN site for casual perusal sports news, looking at standings, power rankings, etc.? My back-up has always been CBSsports.com.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    You can always go to the individual sport:

MLB.com

NHL.com

NFL.com

NBA.com

NCAA.com

ETC ...

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was done with ESPN back in the days when Brett Favre would retire and then unretire like clockwork every year after football season. That was around the clock coverage for the morons at ESPN.

Can't say I miss them. I just get sports news on the internet.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    It was more of a reflection of what they think of Bill Simmons who was the primary architect of the site. Or built for him. Now that he's gone....

And I agree, I don't lean towards many particular "news sites" on the internet but that is a very good one. A lot of diversity, sports, entertainment, and writers. One of the main ones that I frequent. Or use to.

And if you haven't seen Bill Simmons videos of the National over the years, run to them right now...or you're doing yourself a disservice. Thats your wheelhouse.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    It was more of a reflection of what they think of Bill Simmons who was the primary architect of the site. Or built for him. Now that he's gone....
    And I agree, I don't lean towards many particular "news sites" on the internet but that is a very good one. A lot of diversity, sports, entertainment, and writers. One of the main ones that I frequent. Or use to.

And if you haven't seen Bill Simmons videos of the National over the years, run to them right now...or you're doing yourself a disservice. Thats your wheelhouse.

2014 Grantland at the National

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, ESPN has been a terrible site for news since their most recent redesign. There's not even a real news hub to see right when to get to the page. Super annoying. I know everything has to be mobile friendly these days but I've found myself going there less and less since that redesign. This Grantland thing is just another reason to switch.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I really mis-understood your post. I thought you meant ESPN on TV and that Grantland was one of the on air personalities.

I use MSN sports, I like it pretty well. Gives me what I need, scores, standings, articles etc.
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    ESPN.com is terrible. Terrible layout. Difficult to get the most basic of information. Absolutely no news. Complete lack of interesting stories.
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Darin
    I was done with ESPN back in the days when Brett Favre would retire and then unretire like clockwork every year after football season. That was around the clock coverage for the morons at ESPN.
    Can't say I miss them. I just get sports news on the internet.

You mean you didn't enjoy watching Ed Werder hiding in the bushes on Brett Favre's front lawn reporting what he was eating for breakfast? I agree that ESPN is brutal. There is an app for your phone called "The Score". You can personalize it to receive the information that you want and it is good for keeping up with scores and stats. Highly recommend it.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Try being a hockey fan. . . .
  • Options
    I still enjoy reading ESPN The Magazine with all of its insightful and up to date information and advertisements and in-your-face promotion. And it's extra big, so it really takes up valuable space on the coffee table. It makes me tingle inside.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tsn.ca
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Doug's answer
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 8:14AM
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I still like the ESPN website for all my sports updates. Maybe time and sites updates can help cure your sore feelings, but the internet is vast and changes quickly so hopefully you should be able to get plenty of options till then.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies