Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Mount Rushmore of Basketball Cards - Survey

Hi everyone,

In the upcoming issue of SMR, Joe Orlando discusses a great question in his monthly editorial, Taking My Hacks: What four basketball cards would make up your Mount Rushmore?

Some slots were tough to fill, but in this editorial he provides his top four choices. Now it's your chance to chime in!

Vote at www.PSACard.com/rushmore

Thanks for your participation,

The PSA Team

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

Comments

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Its not really my prime area of interest but id say.

bird/johnson

wilt

jordan

dr j vs russell?

don't really know the old timers or what their order of relevance even is.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Mine would be:

Mikan

Russell

Bird/Dr. J/Magic

Jordan

But then again, I am a Celtics fan so Russell is going to win the jump ball with Wilt 11 out of 13 times (no pun intended).
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    Originally posted by: flcardtrader

Mine would be:

Mikan

Russell

Bird/Dr. J/Magic

Jordan

I don't really collect basketball, but this was my exact list off the top of my head.

• Options

Mikan 1948 Bowman

Russell 1957 Topps

Wilt 1961 Fleer

Jordan 1986 Fleer

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russell, Wilt, Bird/Magic, Jordan. There is no way that the Mikan card is more recognizable nor more meaningful to the sport of basketball than the Bird/Magic. Without The East/West rivalry that Larry and Ervin brought to the 1980's, the NBA wouldn't even exist. Don't pick a card just because it is old and rare, pick them for the players and worldwide demand they command.
  • Options
    I would love to add the Mikan to the collection one day, but I would leave him off the Mt. Rushmore discussion. Here are my 4:

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    1969 Kareem

1980 Bird/Magic

1986 MJ

1972 Doc

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Mikan

Russell

Wilt

MJ
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    To me the two that have to be there are the Jordan and the Bird/Magic. One is the greatest ever and the other has the two most important players in the history of the NBA (remember before Bird and Magic the NBA finals were on tape delay) and just happen to be in the top 5 players on league history. The other two spots can be fought over but those two cards are stone cold lead pipe locks.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised not to see 1969 Lew Alcindor as one of the survey options in the article
  • Options
    well...he was mentioned....just as Kareem
  • Options
    For me it is

MJ
    Bird/Magic
    Dr. J
    Wilt
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I know the Mikan card is a major item but I don't see how you can have a list like this without the league's career leading scorer.
  • Options
    Mikan

Wilt

Russell

Jordan
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    The picture nails it.

Had Topps not used the idea of 3-panel cards in 1980-81 to depict Bird & Magic -- perhaps Chamberlain would be replaced on that list...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 49ersGuy
    well...he was mentioned....just as Kareem

Oh, didn't notice you had listed that one too. What I really meant though was I was surprised it wasn't an option in the survey poll or discussed within the article even if it might not win the popular vote over a couple other good options.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SportsModerator1

Hi everyone,

In the upcoming issue of SMR, Joe Orlando discusses a great question in his monthly editorial, Taking My Hacks: What four basketball cards would make up your Mount Rushmore?

Some slots were tough to fill, but in this editorial he provides his top four choices. Now it's your chance to chime in!

1957 Topps #77 Bill Russell - Sports are about winning. That is the ultimate goal. No player, in any team sport, won more championships than this man. With 11 championships in all, Russell stands alone.

Good on Russell for his achievements, but with all due respect to Henri Richard, Russell does not stand alone with 11 championships as a player.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I too would replace the Mikan with the Bird/Magic rookie. Bird or Magic have a good chance of replacing Mikan in importance to the league and sport but both combined clearly surpass him. I would also rank the Bird/Magic card above the Russell. Oh and if you feel bad leaving off Dr J well then bird/magic card helps correct that too.

If you include the Russell card mostly because he was on 11 championship team you'd have to rank the Bird/Dr J/Magic card a little higher because that card actually has the 3 leaders of their teams to 11 championships. Not to mention twice as many league MVP awards belong to the Bird/Magic card over the Russell and Mikan never actually had any when the award started later in his career.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    We're gonna need a bigger mountain.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: arex
    To me the two that have to be there are the Jordan and the Bird/Magic. One is the greatest ever and the other has the two most important players in the history of the NBA (remember before Bird and Magic the NBA finals were on tape delay) and just happen to be in the top 5 players on league history. The other two spots can be fought over but those two cards are stone cold lead pipe locks.

Agree. I also think Wilt and Alcindor should round it out or maybe the Russell. I also think that Shaq, Wilt or Jabar would all score 100 on Mikan.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Originally posted by: SportsModerator1

Hi everyone,

1957 Topps #77 Bill Russell - Sports are about winning. That is the ultimate goal. No player, in any team sport, won more championships than this man. With 11 championships in all, Russell stands alone.

Good on Russell for his achievements, but with all due respect to Henri Richard, Russell does not stand alone with 11 championships as a player.

Well, I emailed Joe Orlando to let him know about the inaccuracy in his article (that you can't say "...Russell stands alone" since H.Richard stands right there next to him in that regard. I did not get a reply, but I did however notice that subsequent to my message, he has since revised his article so that the text now reads "With 11 championships in all, Russell remains at the top." Still technically correct to say that "No player, in any team sport, won more championships than this man." since their championship win totals are equivalent (neither Richard nor Russell won more than his counterpart).