Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

psa has stopped recognizing the 1968 milton bradley versions?

supposedly on "most cards". anyone else hear this?

email dated Wed., Oct 28, 2015, from Michael Resxxxz, PSA Customer Service:

"However, pretty recently PSA has actually stopped recognizing the Milton Bradley variation of most cards"

Comments

• Options
    That's a stunner. Why wouldn't they continue to recognize them??
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    i thought so as well.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been a number that were mislabeled and some serious debate took place on a few copies over the years here.

I wonder if this is like the Star Basketball issue where they just don't think they can tell consistently the difference between the regular issue and this one. Obviously on Star they are concerned with reprints but a lack of consistency means risk for PSA.

• Options
    Yeah, I know the differences are subtle and there have been mislabels. But still....
  • Options
    I have no dog in the fight. Just was saying that perhaps that was the reason.

• Options
    there's only 12 players in the 68 mb set, but 7 are 50% complete and i'd be a lil perturbed to have my set shut down.

and/or really have to fight for the remaining cards to complete my set knowing that no other players are wanna come into the game.

understand the subtle differences but it's really not that hard when the cards are in hand.

there are the clusterducks that occur, especially to the untrained and to quote dan...

"but still"
  • Options
    easy edit: no dog here either and I'm sure "most cards" exclude the ryan and aaron, i hope.
  • Options
    You would hope that since those are higher dollar cards and would be sent in on higher dollar submission rates that they could have the senior graders review those and administer a grade.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Interesting....if they stop recognizing the Milton Bradley version then the number of mislabels will naturally increase.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that they would have to stop recognizing both the 1968 Topps and 1968 Milton Bradley versions to effectively correct the situation moving forward?

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    psa is keen on consistency, one would think it would be more respectable to offer for any 1968 card to be sent in under "mech error" and be reexamined for free...

and properly reholdered vs throwing in the towel because it's a headache and might take some extra effort to properly identify each card.

they are after all the most dominant tpg in the business. this seems like a step-backwards.

again, do not collect the set, but i would be more than pissed if i did.
  • Options
    easy edit: and this ultimately means there will completely separate cards allowed to be added to the regular 68 set which defies their own rules.

not that there isn't now, but moving forward it's "knowingly".

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    They would seem to have an inherent ongoing consistency issue since they, like most guides, recognize the yellow front variations to the Cox and Brinkman cards as part of the regular 1968 set. But those "variations" are simply Milton Bradley cards in all cases. On the other hand, maybe consistency is not all it is cracked up to be
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    inconsistently consistent? image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I had a couple of Milton Bradley's. At the time I didnt have my CC membership and just wanted them authenticated since it was the Ryan RC and Hank Aaron, so I piggybacked with someone and sent them to Beckett. Had so many issues where they wouldnt slab them as MB even though I had it verified that they were and in fact, sent them a scan of a card that was on ebay for them to "review" - they said it wasnt a MB, even though it was really one that they had already graded MB. Was going to send to PSA, but if they arent going to label it MB, then screw it. Will sell as is
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    That's frustrating. The issues I run into are usually around inexpensive cards. I can only imagine the frustration with higher dollar cards like this. I would escalate your concerns. Sometimes I feel like you get rather scripted answers initially.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here