Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is the most overpriced player in sports cards and memorabilia

I say Bo Jackson and Penny Hardaway have to be the most overpriced . Bo Jackson autograph cards . Penny Hardaway inserts autographed and non-autographed sell for more than they should. Neither guy will be a Hall of Famers. Also Don Mattingly .

Comments

• Options
    Disagree on Bo and Donnie. Both are very popular and popularity drives demand, which drives prices.
  • Options
    Any bowman chrome auto of any player.....selling "1/1" junk for $500+ of a nobody who will never do anything and people pay for it. Head scratcher.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Mike Trout?? He has had a great career, so far, but there is no certainty of his future.
  • Options
    Bo Jackson is all about marketing , Bo Jackson wasn't really that great a baseball player and he would have been a great running back, but he never had a 1,000 yard season.
  • Options
    You're right about Mike Trout , compare Trout stuff to Albert Pujols . Pujols has already had that great career
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    99% of the shiney megasuperduperfractor bowman autos will have very little value in 10 years time. There are always outliers like trout, but the vast majority will never pan out.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mantle cards image
  • Options
    Anyone whose flippy label includes the name "Dmitri Young Collection".
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    huh?? this guy is one of the greatest athletes of all-time. did barry sanders make the all-star team and hit 32 hr's in one season? and his cards aren't that expensive. aaron, mays and williams were all better than mantle, yet mantle runs laps around their cards. i would say mantle is the most overhyped overpriced card out there and it's not even close.image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stewie
    Anyone whose flippy label includes the name "Dmitri Young Collection".

yeah, that clemente card was certainly overpaid on. no way that guy ever turns a profit! image

same goes w/ that rose, aaron, banks, musial, etc.

poor fellas!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I would say most players with less than 10 years of service are likely overpriced. They may have enough history to project, but enough time to still miss the mark...add in that they're coming from an era with far more product than needed, chock full of inserts and numbered auto's and patches, etc. that don't mean much, and I think you're set up to fail if paying premiums.

Retired players seem to largely be governed by supply/demand. So while we may not always agree with the prices of say Mantle vs. Mays, the speculation is pretty much over, and they're commanding the prices people have historically paid.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Every modern non hof auto patch/jersey/hat/shirt/underwear/tag/blah/blah/blah
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Being a Donnie collector, it does annoy me that some of his cards cost as much as they do considering his numbers but the fact his 84D gave collecting a much needed shot in the arm, as Matt mentioned, and the fact he was huge for baseball in the 80s and his gigantic following, I will still collect him regardless. As far as modern collecting goes, does anyone top his non-HOF prices for someone retired from playing?

Who would his counterpart be in vintage?
  • Options
    i don't necessarily know if this qualifies and absolutely a fan...

but that 1959 fleer stooges #1 curly card draws some absolutely monumental numbers!!

don't want this to seem a knock (knuck, knuck) but:

8's - go for $6000+

8.5's - go for $13,000

9's - not sure if there is a recorded sale, but assume $50K+

• Options
    High graded cards (ex. PSA 9 & 10) in general are way over priced. The value will have a steep drop off eventually with exception to some of the mt. Rushmore type cards.

Mickey Mantle should be one of the most valued cards in each of the sets it appears however it is hyper inflated due to baby boomer appeal. It should eventually be on par with Mays.

1965 Joe Namath is insanely priced for a guy sub par Hall of Famer that should not even be in the Hall. All his cards for that matter are over valued.

1969 Brian Piccolo

1962 Ernie Davis

1986-87 Michael Jordan - The sheer amount of how many of those cards are out there really makes it's price ridiculous.

Just an opinion of course.
  • Options
    I definitely should add various unopened as well. Once the value of the high end PSA cards drops so will the value of unopened.
  • Options
    49ersGuy , good point on Brian Piccolo 1969 . All because of Brian's Song .
  • Options
    of course that eddie plank is at $45k within minutes of being listed.
  • Options
    52T mantle PSA 8. Way overpriced but I got my bid in.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought it did not open until after midnight est? I am going to drive your bid over $3k Belz image
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Michael Jordan, hands down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ElvisP
    Michael Jordan, hands down.

I think you misread. He is asking for overpriced, not underpriced.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: olb31
    huh?? this guy is one of the greatest athletes of all-time. did barry sanders make the all-star team and hit 32 hr's in one season? and his cards aren't that expensive. aaron, mays and williams were all better than mantle, yet mantle runs laps around their cards. i would say mantle is the most overhyped overpriced card out there and it's not even close.image

Barry probably made All-Pro plenty of times and is the all-time rushing leader, doesn't that count?

But yes I know this is the opposite of the original topic but Willie Mays and to a lesser extent Aaron are in fact undervalued compared to Mantle. Sure Mantle is the true "Mr. October" (18 World Series HR's and seven(?) championships, need I say more?) but Willie Mays is the greatest all around player (even better than Ruth I think, though Ruth had a bigger impact in terms of history) and of course Hank Aaron is the all time HR champ (swollen head 'roids guy doesn't count of course). So yes, Mays and Aaron are quite undervalued compared to Mantle.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Mickey Mantle certainly is overpriced . Joe Namath is Overpriced as well . It is the New York and the 1960s really. Look at Len Dawson vs. Joe Namath . Len Dawson's 1963 Fleer has to be at least 5 to 10 rarer than Namath 1965 Topps.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Estil
    Originally posted by: olb31

Barry probably made All-Pro plenty of times and is the all-time rushing leader, doesn't that count?

But yes I know this is the opposite of the original topic but Willie Mays and to a lesser extent Aaron are in fact undervalued compared to Mantle. Sure Mantle is the true "Mr. October" (18 World Series HR's and seven(?) championships, need I say more?) but Willie Mays is the greatest all around player (even better than Ruth I think, though Ruth had a bigger impact in terms of history) and of course Hank Aaron is the all time HR champ (swollen head 'roids guy doesn't count of course). So yes, Mays and Aaron are quite undervalued compared to Mantle.

Barry, the all-time rushing leader?? He retired (quit by fax) before he ever broke Payton's record at that time.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Hank Aaron

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    None are overpriced. One pays what one is willing.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: markj111
    None are overpriced. One pays what one is willing.

this.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Anything I collect
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I don't have a specific but I always chuckle when I see a 1980 Topps common go for $100 because it's one of only 4 graded 9 or higher.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Probably the most over priced card in the history of sports cards was Jeremy Lin. Basically the guy played 2 weeks of great ball and social media/sports memorabilia blew him up bigger than any superstar in the history of sports and soon his card was selling for 200k
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cardsnbeads
    Mickey Mantle certainly is overpriced . Joe Namath is Overpriced as well . It is the New York and the 1960s really. Look at Len Dawson vs. Joe Namath . Len Dawson's 1963 Fleer has to be at least 5 to 10 rarer than Namath 1965 Topps.

Love the Len Dawson mention. He's a hall of famer and would have had even better stats but he didn't get to play until about his fifth year as a pro when the Steelers, (or Browns, memory fading) traded him to the Dallas Texans, who moved to KC. I've always wanted to do his basic player set. Only QB to bring us a Super Bowl, Joe Montana couldn't even do that.
    Len is still going strong as a color commentator on Chiefs radio network.

• Options
    remember that Joe was 37 and coming off an injury that kept him out of football for 2 years when he came to the Chiefs. Len Dawson however was definitely one of the great QB's in the history of football and it could be argued that he and not Johnny Unitas was the greatest QB in the 60's.
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    All of it is over-priced...I can't wait for the late 70's and early 80's values to come back to the hobby.

(this post underscores that everyone has an opinion but, ultimately, its the market that drives the pricing/values)

Simply put, the above opinion isn't going to happen!

If the market can get a specific pricepoint, its going to get that price until the market goes away and those who depend on making money in the market begin missing meals.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mtcards
    Anything I collect

As well as anything I become intensely interested in.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat
    Mantle cards image

+1! Only 4 100 RBI seasons,hit only 30 or more doubles ONCE!,led league in strikeouts 5 times! Well below average defensively with over a negative 10 dWAR career! Most comparable to Eddie Mathews. WAY OVERPRICED!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    If Mickey Mantle cards and memorabilia are so grossly overpriced, over-hyped, overblown, and if his numbers so fail to impress you, then why, pray tell, has this man's stuff carried the hobby just as assuredly he carried his team, the Yankees?

I'm going to paraphrase the esteemed sports editor of THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE, Dave Condon, at the time Mickey Mantle retired from baseball. Dave observed that Mickey Mantle was the greatest New York Yankee of them all.

You know, if you guys taking your potshots at Mantle somehow succeed in bringing his card prices down some, maybe I'll be able to afford some of the ones I still badly want. I don't think that will happen. As Mike Royko would famously say, "I might be wrong, but I doubt it."

As Mickey famously dressed up as a toddler for a breakfast food commercial and whined, "I want my Maypo", in real life I'm whining, "I want my Mickey Mantle cards back! I want 'em!"

Somehow, some way, let's enjoy our weekend and the Mickey Mantle cards we still have. And you can enjoy the cards you have worked hard to secure of your heroes. I care not a word what you say against Mickey Mantle; he's my favorite player. My favorite baseball cards are of Mick. He was the one everyone I palled around with (growing up in the northwest suburbs of Chicago) considered the biggest card to get, and I began collecting at 7 in 1961. Ed Mathews, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron were all nobodies compared to Mickey Mantle. Sure, they were great, and we were glad when we got cards of them. But getting Mickey Mantle was the highlight of our collecting year back in those years. I'm certain some of it goes back to how many World Series rings each of them was given the spring after their World Series triumph(s). If you're just unhappy because the cards of the guy you adore aren't valued all that much, play "The Glad Game" of Polyanna. Be glad they weren't THAT good or great enough to have former kids pay high three-, four-, five-, six-, and perhaps one day seven figures for one of their baseball cards. Now hold on, I jolly well know Big Ed, Say Hey, and Hammerin' Hank all have cards in the five figure range. They just don't have very many of them.

It's all good, guys. We love our hobby. I just get enraged when PSA does not know how to value some things, or assign weight numbers.

"THAT'S A RARE, PRICELESS BASEBALL CARD ARTIFACT. THAT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!" ---what we would have loved the real Indiana Jones to have once said. I'm thankful God very recently spared Harrison Ford, and he survived his very close call landing his single prop plane.

Salud. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Brian--Not sure about Harrison Ford but I think Jack Handey may have once said all that
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bishop

Brian--Not sure about Harrison Ford but I think Jack Handey may have once said all that

Without coming up for air? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Hmm. Seems Harrison Ford found a way to support the notion that air traffic near populated areas can cause consternation. That, and he probably caused someone to take a Mulligan when he crashed. Now, he claims retrograde amnesia was involved. This would explain why he appeared on Kimmel dressed as a hot dog.
  • Options
    I'm hanging with Indiana jones from now on...great to hear all about mantle through your experiences.
  • Options
    Thanks belz; I'm honored by your compliment. I wish the text of my last long entry was parsed into the long sentence paragraphs I typed. It just went through as one big blob to read. I apologize for this, and perhaps I'll be able to figure out what if anything can be done about it.

However, it shan't shut me up.

Yeah, us Mantle collectors ought to get together, but maybe we'd all be too scared to do so. If we all just brought contraptions with scans of our Mantles, as we load 'em up on here, that will allow us to all sleep better.

I lovingly put in some Mickey Mantle stories in my upcoming book. I hope you will give it a try; if you love Mickey, I feel sure you will be moved. Naturally, other players' cards are written about as well.

Wishing the very best, bro----always.

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I think Mickey Mantle was one of the most human players in baseball history.
  • Options
    Any krapernick card
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: 49ersGuy
    remember that Joe was 37 and coming off an injury that kept him out of football for 2 years when he came to the Chiefs. Len Dawson however was definitely one of the great QB's in the history of football and it could be argued that he and not Johnny Unitas was the greatest QB in the 60's.

Who says Johnny Unitas is the greatest QB of the 1960's?

Question, how many Championships did Unitas lead the Colts to in the
    decade of the 1960's?

Answer : zero.

How many playoff wins did Johnny U. have in the 1960's?

Answer : zero.

Who had the most TD passes in the 1960's?
    Answer : Sonny Jurgensen.

What QB won the most playoff games and Championships during the 1960's?

Answer: Just look a little left of your screen.

I rest my case.

• Options
    I just assumed that Johnny was considered the greatest of the 60's as before Joe Montana he was often onsidered the greatest QB ever. There is room for much debate and more than a few QB's can be considered. I do think Bart Starr has a near clone in the NFL world in Troy Aikman. Both were surrounded by Hall of Fame talent and did a whole lot of winning. Both great game managers and clutch as well.

A players greatness in the NFL is almost always determined by what team they land on. A perfect example is Terry Bradshaw and Archie Manning. Has Archie landed on the Steelers and Terry landed on the Saints I can all but guarantee you that Archie would have the HoF bust while Terry would just be that QB that played for those horrible Saints teams. My top 5 list for the 60's is as follows...

1.Len Dawson

2.Bart Starr

3.Sonny Jurgenson

4.Fran Tarkenton

5.Johnny Unitas

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarkenton should be no lower than #2. He played on two HORRIBLE teams and dramatically improved both of them.

Minnesota was an expansion team in 1961, by 1964 they were 8-5-1, look at the Giants record in 1966 and then in 1967 when Fran got there.

Talk about "what-ifs" Fran wins a couple of Super Bowls and lots of people consider him for best of all time. Now, he doesn't get mentioned. Bradshaw had a running game to go with that defense, Minnesota got NOWHERE on the ground in the Super Bowls they were in!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nowhere on the ground in the Super Bowls, perhaps, but Foreman was a pretty good back on those Viking teams and had multiple games in the playoffs during those Super Bowl runs in which he rushed for over 100 yards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Chuck Foreman was an outstanding running back. He was one of the first dual threat backs and was selected to the Pro Bowl 5 straight season before injuries caught up to him. He was definitely one of the top backs of the 70's imho.

However put Fran on a team like Green Bay or Baltimore in the 60's and I definitely would agree that he would most likely be #1.