Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help with identifying two old cash coins (fresh from the ground)

Hello! image

I usually post on the metal detecting forum. However, I’ve gone and dug up something I know precious little about: two Chinese cash coins.

They were found underwater. One is in pretty rough shape, the other one is a bit better.

Note: I assure you I haven’t cleaned the coins image This is exactly as they came out. Water tends to wreak havoc with the surfaces and can cause some wild color variations.

Here are the two sea monsters:

Coin 1:

I may have found a match for this. To my untrained eye, the mintmark looks like Hangchou and the date looks like 1723-1735. This would make it KM# 363. Am I correct?

A side observation: Wow, I didn't remember most of the pictures in Krause are so terrible! Been a long time since I had my 18th century book out.

Coin 2:

This I can’t seem to find a match for. This is the rougher coin of the two. In an attempt to improve readability of the legends, I’ve shot it at an angle in harsh light. Anyone know what this is?

Many thanks in advance for your help!!

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not too familiar with Qing dynasty coins.

#1 looks like the Yong Zheng emperor, 1723 to 1736.

#2 looks like the Dao Guang emperor, 1821 to 1851.

I am not sure about this, but I think both are from Guangxi Province, possibly from the city of Gui.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.k.

Found underwater? I'm curious where.

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Thank you harasha!

As for where they were found: In the water at a beach over in Finland, Europe. Up on the beach itself one generally finds modern coins dropped over the past few decades, but in the water (which is awfully cold this time of year I might add!) there's more potential for the occasional older find.

These are interesting (would be fun to know the story how they ended up there), but not old enough to be of historical significance in this area I'm afraid.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro