Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps can make millions with regional boxes/cases

Sorry if this have been discussed before or if it is an actual reality.

Why not make boxes/cases that are regionally or geographically based. Not all of the cards, but somewhere around 10-20% of the cards are going to be players from you local team in that box. If Topps sold cases of 24 boxes that had over 15% hits of Giants, we would pay a premium for that.

My son and I got back into some modern last year, but became disenchanted with the lack of local players (Giants). We love ripping, organizing, sorting and putting sets together, but need that extra incentive if we are going to keep buying worthless modern cards. Buying these cards on E-bay is not the same, and there is no "bonding" going on buying cards with a computer.

At the end of all this ripping (we bought a few cases), we isolated all of the Giants players and put them in a binder. The rest of the cards (7-8K?), are organized by number in storage boxes, but if someone wanted to take them off our hands, that would be fine.

We want to get into basketball, but how many Warriors are we going to get out of a case of Panini. If Panini had a case with 15% Warrior hits, we'd sign up today.

This was all in paragraphs when I wrote it.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
Prefer to buy in bulk.

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea. I know other companies do it with different product- - think Sports Illustrated or college football preview mash with different players on the cover based in region.
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I think this concept was tried in 81-82 Topps Basketball. While I doubt the regional distribution had a direct correlation, it is interesting to point out that it was the last year that Topps Basketball was put out for another 10 or 11 years.

With that said, I like the idea. It would force the modern buyer to get creative with how they source their boxes to build a set. I would think that would also cause modern purchasers to possibly give up packs altogether and just go after the factory set - although inserts and parallels have done a good job of that.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    It's not what the big retailers like Wal-Mart want. It's just more work for them to sort out all the items by region.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: flcardtrader
    I think this concept was tried in 81-82 Topps Basketball. While I doubt the regional distribution had a direct correlation, it is interesting to point out that it was the last year that Topps Basketball was put out for another 10 or 11 years.

With that said, I like the idea. It would force the modern buyer to get creative with how they source their boxes to build a set. I would think that would also cause modern purchasers to possibly give up packs altogether and just go after the factory set - although inserts and parallels have done a good job of that.

I forgot they did it w/ basketball, but was going to mention that regional distribution was what they did with 1981-82 hockey before they shut down the presses for a couple years until 1984. I am not a fan of that strategy.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Everyone on Shark Tank thinks they have a million dollar idea.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC in the mid-90's Upper Deck baseball a did a 3 region wax box offering. Believe it was East,Central, and West coast versions. Don't remember how the correlation was presented. Pretty sure it was a one year try.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Upper Deck did the regional offering also with Basketball around 93-94. I am stuck with a few boxes from that experiment.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Logistically, I would think having 30-32 different collation sequences for boxes would be costly for the card manufacturer. Upper Deck sort of does this with their collegiate license by making school specific boxes. I am a Warriors and Giants (and 49ers) guy too and I would like to have team boxes like this. I am not sure how this would go over for the Bobcats or Padres or the other struggling franchises. What would be really interesting would be the secondary market as the boxes with the big RC's would be sought after highly.
    Steve
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think instead of having the entire box be regionally based, perhaps a single pack in each box, be regionally specific and of the local team only. It would make it easier from a point of not having to sort different packs. The rest of the packs would be equal everywhere
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Love the idea of single packs in a box that have all local players.

I don't see collation being an issue. With technology, I'm sure this can be figured out.

Lots of products have become regionalized/geographically relevant. It's the evolution of marketing. Pepsi and Coke are now putting local sports teams on their products. SBX has a Marshawn Lynch beverage in Seattle. Ford sells a car based on a Texas Ranch. Customers want geographic relevance in their purchases.

Does Wal-Mart and Target sell lots of modern? I would bet the main distribution for cards right now is through Blowout/Dave and Adams/Amazon. Topps could even sell these regional boxes via there own website. So Wal-mart can still gets the same old boxes with a bunch of Marlins that no one in San Diego gives a hoot about.

Who is still buying cards at retail outlets BTW? Just asking, would like to hear.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy the blasters at Target and Walmart but I do think they get quite a bit of action. I have been on other forums where members share their hobby and retail breaks.
    Steve
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SdubWho is still buying cards at retail outlets BTW? Just asking, would like to hear.

I'll pick up a blaster every now and then when I want a cheap rip without having to wait for a delivery. Pokemon seems to dominate my local WalMart with at least double the shelf space that all sports combined take up.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Sdub
    Love the idea of single packs in a box that have all local players.

I don't see collation being an issue. With technology, I'm sure this can be figured out.

Lots of products have become regionalized/geographically relevant. It's the evolution of marketing. Pepsi and Coke are now putting local sports teams on their products. SBX has a Marshawn Lynch beverage in Seattle. Ford sells a car based on a Texas Ranch. Customers want geographic relevance in their purchases.

Does Wal-Mart and Target sell lots of modern? I would bet the main distribution for cards right now is through Blowout/Dave and Adams/Amazon. Topps could even sell these regional boxes via there own website. So Wal-mart can still gets the same old boxes with a bunch of Marlins that no one in San Diego gives a hoot about.

Who is still buying cards at retail outlets BTW? Just asking, would like to hear.

Futera (I would argue that they are the premier sports card manufacturer in the world) does put out entire sets/boxes/packs etc. separated by team and it is a successful strategy for them, has been for several years. I don't know that what works for the EPL would work for North American sports though. Futera