Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1998 SP Peyton Manning ??

In regards to the card that is numbered to 2000.....does anyone know why some of them are factory stamped and some are hand-written? Is one more valuable than the other? I was told once that some of them that were factory stamped were damaged and UD replaced them with the hand-written ones.

Anyone have any intel or thoughts on the issue? I assume UD kept the damaged ones as to not have two of the same numbered cards?

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    that is correct

If u claimed card was damaged you could send back tp U D.

They would substitute a hand written #'d card.

Generally the hand #'d cards are considered less valuable but by how much is based on the buyer.

I know I would rather have a factory stamped card.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    FYI- this is one of the most trimmed cards in existence. The cards were a tad oversized so trimmers went to work on these. If it was pack pulled about 90 % of the time it had small nicks due to the oversize and the card was always on the back of the pack. So searchers caused damage as well.

You got two rookies per box and then normally a die cut rookie. The Moss and Manning came together most if not all times.

I am saying all this to let you know the hand numbered cards are less desirable to most but have far less chance of being trimmed. They came back mint so no need to trim. If had to guess 90% of the cards in gem mint holders with a factory stamp are trimmed.

When I say most trimmed I mean percentage wise. There are only 2000 but most factory stamped ones are slightly trimmed.

This is in paragraphs when I type but doesn't post that way.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Assuming they pulled the damaged card out of circulation, the mere fact of the numbers being hand-written shouldn't change anything.

Wouldn't it be easy for PSA to detect cards that are trimmed? I sure hope so!
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    No, they use laser cutters and it worked back then and assume it does today as well.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Manning Sp Authentic in a Psa 9 and my serial number is hand written, my Moss is also a PSA 9 and is stamped
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies