Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Who would like to continue the Hungarian "Madonna & Child" Denar collection I started?

You will receive all 21 coins shown in the original post of the collection thread here.

The dates on these 21 pieces range from 1505 to 1640. The full set would range from 1503-1696 if you wanted to carry it that far.

One price buys all.

I will also include the custom album pages I made up. (Scroll down to see an example picture.) Those are five Gardmaster 30-pocket pages already labeled with the dates, so it's just like having a coin album that's already mapped out for you. The pages will fit in a standard 3-ring binder. The full set would begin in 1503 (when they began dating these) and my pages run until 1646, but I can include stickers for you to expand it all the way up to 1696 if you want- you'd just need to buy a few more pages. The Gardmaster system has sliding pouches that hold each row, with room for a label beneath each coin compartment. (You'll see what I mean in the example below.)

Why am I selling a set I practically just began? To do something else. This was always a casual sideline set for me and I enjoyed starting it, but I always knew somebody else would pick up the baton and carry it on from there. I plan to use the money to resume my love affair with love tokens.

Now, the price.

I'm asking $265.65 plus a bit for shipping.

How did I come up with that number? In a sort of arbitrary way. My birthdate is 12/65, so I decided to tally these up at $12.65 per coin.

At 21 coins, that comes to $265.65. Hey, there's my lucky "65" again! So let's round up and call it $275.00 for everything to cover my shipping.

$12.65 per coin is a pretty good bargain. Look on eBay. These usually go $15-25 apiece for average-quality specimens, and most of the coins in this set are NOT average quality specimens.

There are several high grade pieces with very attractive toning. In fact, I think some of these might have AU- maybe even MS- potential if slabbed.

If you got them in PCGS holders with TrueViews, you could be looking at some coins with $50, $75, or even $100+ potential individually.

I do not expect this set will last long. Just read what Tibor, my mentor on these, said in the collection thread.

I could probably get more than I am asking by listing this on eBay, too, but I figured I'd go for the quick, convenient sale here. Besides, I'd like to see a forum member continue the set.

I got ridiculously lucky when I won the bulk of these on eBay from a Slovenian dealer ... for a song! And I am passing those savings on to you, just for the pleasure of seeing someone else pick up where I left off and run with it. I've done most of the initial work, so this is what you might call a "turn key" set you can step right into. And it's an affordable series with, to my knowledge, no prohibitively expensive key dates- though you will still find it challenging.

Here's a sample image of a few of the prettier coins, and one of the album pages. Naturally there are links to individual pictures of the whole set on the collection thread, and a Photobucket album.

Sample album page photo (there are 5 pages with the set, with extra stickers to expand it if you want)

And if you want the graphic, here's a version of the banner without "Lord Marcovan" on it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who ever made the purchase will enjoy their time filling in the holes. The earlier pieces alone

were worth the price. Where are the winds of collecting taking you now?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Tibor. I appreciate all the advice you gave on these.

Though it was a short term pursuit, I did enjoy them.

I told the new owner he should PM you with any questions.

I'm going back to love tokens for my secondary collection now. The Box of 20 remains my primary set, but with a love token type set as my secondary, I'll have a US set to play around with. I often like to do it that way- have one set that's mostly World coins and another that's mostly US.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'll take it

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don