Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Recent Ancient NEWPS

Caught up with all purchase updates. Need to get a closer shot of the Argenteus which has a very sharp look to it.

ROMAN EMPIRE. Diocletian, AD 284-305. AR Argenteus, 20mm, 2.87gr. Ticinum, minted ca. AD 295. Obv. DIOCLETI ANVS AVG, laureate head right within dotted border. Rev. VIRTVS MILITVM, the Tetrarchs sacrificing in front of fortified city walls. RIC 18a. NGC graded as Ch. MS? 5/5, 5/5.

MACEDONIAN KINGDOM. Alexander III the Great (336-323 BC). Price 1686. AR Tetradrachm, 34mm, 17.72gr. Late posthumous issue of Aeolis, Temnus ca. 200-170 BC. Obv: Head of Heracles right, wearing lion skin headdress. Rev: Zeus seated left, holding eagle on right hand and scepter in left; in left field, two monograms above oinochoe within vine tendril. Well struck on a broad medallic planchet and beautifully toned. NGC Ch. XF 5/5, 4/5.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how to create spacing between text/image? As much as I spaced these from one another, the post came up pretty condensed.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice additions. The Argenteus looks like it fell from the minters anvil into the holder.

• Options
    Both are quite gorgeous but indeed that aregenteus is simply absurd, it's like they minted it and then walked outside and dropped it into a hole
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zohar

Does anyone know how to create spacing between text/image? As much as I spaced these from one another, the post came up pretty condensed.

Looks like you're having the same issue some others are having. I had it too, but only briefly. I can use the Enter key to add additional line spacing now. I dunno what changed in my case. I think if you put HTML-style line breaks in, that might work. But then if I were to quote your text, I'd have to remove the HTML tags because now they don't work for me! Go figure. There is a "forum issues" thread on the Liteside. See what others who have this problem are saying, and what can be done about it, if anything. I'm sure they're still ironing the bugs out of this new software.

As to the coins, that's a very nice Diocletian. The posthumous Alexander is quite the goggle-eyed portrait, isn't it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful stuff, Z. Love the Diocletian.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup that Dioc is stunning - look at the details!!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive flan on the tetradrachm!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NiceCurrency
    Both are quite gorgeous but indeed that aregenteus is simply absurd, it's like they minted it and then walked outside and dropped it into a hole

I have to agree, what an awesome coin!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great ancient city view! Excellent detail on both pieces - amazing.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both stunning

Congrat's!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins!

I just posted for the first time in a long time and also had my post all busted up.

At least one fix that works (but is aggravatingly cumbersome) is to write HTML break tags whenever you want a line break.

This is it: image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭