Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any Thoughts on 1971 Racks in Heritage Nov 5-7 Auction?

Just got my Heritage catalogs today and thought I would check out the 1971 Racks they have available (all GAI slabbed). All have stars showing.

2_Aarons

Bunning_Yaz

Palmer

Garvey

Arron_Kaline

The one with 2 Aarons on the front (yellow header card) is the only one that seems to have the right kind of inter-cell seals. The seals are not perfectly clean from the front picture, but look a bit better from the back. 1st cell being series 2 is a bit unusual for a yellow header card rack. Yellow header card is a possibility for this rack.

All of the ones with regular cards for the header have the narrow seals (I never take the risk on these seals).

Anyone have any info about the provenance on the double Aaron rack they can share?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topps did not begin using cross hatch punch hole till 4th series in 71. To that point, Topps used the large circular punch hole.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Topps did not begin using cross hatch punch hole till 4th series in 71. To that point, Topps used the large circular punch hole.

Correct. Pack contains 2 cells that are 4th series and 1 cell that is 2nd series so it is POSSIBLE that the cross-hatch could be on such a pack since this one was not released before series 4.

The mixed series is another concern, as it would be more normal to see mixed 3rd/4th or 4th/5th packs than a 2nd/4th. But it was known to see such situations when a bunch of earlier series sheets were discovered uncut a few series later and then included in the production run.

Nothing definitive yet that rules this one out. Just a number of yellow flags:

- Multiple stars showing
    - Seals not ideal
    - Unusual series mix

Still wondering if anyone knows more about the journey this pack has taken through the collecting world.

Dave
  • Options
    I know it will wind up commanding a large premium~as a buyer, I'd probably prefer a rack without two Hank Aarons on top, especially when you factor in that premium.

I do recall this rack coming up for sale previously some time ago~not sure what venue it was, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I always enjoy seeing the crazy stuff like this. A 1971 rack with 2 Aaron's showing, while I agree as a buyer probably not in love with that premium but as a collector it sure is cool to see stuff like that.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Is anyone thinking JOSE?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No way Jose". image
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    the '71 rack with double Aarons was actually my rack going back to 2002. I bought it originally in a Teletrade auction for -- ready for this--$150 in the mid-90s.

It was one of the centerpieces of my collection. I was the one who had it slabbed by GAI. Fast forward to 2002--it was my 10th anniversary. My then wife never said boo about me spending $$ on cards so I wanted to buy her diamond earrings. In order to make the sacrifice "real" I decided to sell some of my prized collectibles.

The Aaron double rack was one of them. I sold it to Jerseyfive--who many of you older guys will remember. Larry had a GREAT collection. I sold it for $1,000.

When Larry sold his entire collection in ?? 2005--he sold this rack. I wanted it then but it went for a crazy $6K including the juice. Was auctioned by Mile High

There is no reason to believe it is bogus -- dates back to the mid'90s when I bought it.

--always wanted it back--but probably not going to happen. Good luck if you want it--great and rare piece

BTW--am now divorced and regret selling it in the 1st place!!!!!
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    and there you have it..thanks for sharing its history..def adds to it....and sorry about that other thing that won't be spoken of

wow. ..those are some beautiful lots.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that the two Araon cells have the same card on the back as well. Does that suggest the two cells are identical somehow, and does that increase chances of legitimacy (hard to imagine someone creating a fake like that, since it seems so strange)?
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    it was actually Mile High's 2007 auction and was lot 301. Sold for $4,600 + the juice

check the racks in that auction as there may be more from Jerseyfive's collection that is being consigned.

here is a link to the auction

Mile High 2007 auction
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Manny ... ALWAYS great to be able to add provenance to such an expensive pack. Thanks for your post. And YES, Larry had some AMAZING unopened products!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

I noticed that the two Araon cells have the same card on the back as well. Does that suggest the two cells are identical somehow, and does that increase chances of legitimacy (hard to imagine someone creating a fake like that, since it seems so strange)?

That would add a level of authenticity in the sense that sequencing for both cells runs 18 cards deep off the sheet. It also means that same cards are in sequence for both cells, too.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

That would add a level of authenticity in the sense that sequencing for both cells runs 18 cards deep off the sheet. It also means that same cards are in sequence for both cells, too.

Is that the sequencing signal I see, I'm on it!

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    for what it's worth Mr. Pina is #11 in sequence from Mr Aaron if said sequence moves right to left. #13 if moves left to right

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Originally posted by: jmoran19

for what it's worth Mr. Pina is #11 in sequence from Mr Aaron if said sequence moves right to left. #13 if moves left to right

That would be odd, John, considering the cell should contain 18 cards in each section (if card count is correct in each section)?

I have opened racks in which card count per cell is +/- a card or possibly two, but not 4 or 6.

I'm thinking there may be a repeater sequence in each cell? Or Carnac needs to take off his shoes.. LOL..

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim - you need to add unopened Topps racks and packs guru to your LinkedIn profile if you have one image
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Its great to sit back and "listen" to tim, jmoran 70topps, et al discuss sequencing etc. Nice to learn about something i need to brush up on and never really addressed for my own education.

Thanks guys.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image